Fish keeping, Pet keeping or Hobby???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dman0617

Aquarium Advice Activist
Idk if this has been bought up before but, I am a fairly new member of the fish keeping world. I absolutely love it and i truly see myself keeping up with this hobby for the rest of my life. In the past months i have read up on all types of fish keeping information. I love it! Was wondering if you out there consider this a hobby or caring for pets? I truly see it as both due to giving loving care to your fish but also as a hobby because the vast info to learn and experience. This is easy to start but long to master and I plan on doing it all. It takes some time but is for sure one of the most rewarding things i have ever become part of. I believe this is a very rewarding "pet" and "hobby" alike and i want to know everyone's position on this very topic.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it's a little of both its pet keeping because they're live animals under our care and protection but a hobby in the seance of decoration and plant keeping

Sent from peliper

It's a passion at this point. Plants have become prominent in the addiction..ermmm I mean hobby. I still enjoy my fish very much and do everything I can to provide the best glass box aquatic domicile I can.. if we're talking statistics though, the brunt of my efforts land on the plants..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I treat my fish like golem treats the ring. MY PRECIOUS! I guess it is a hobby to me. But the only hobby I have taken such a great deal of interest in. I don't count Xbox as a hobby ?.

I really like my plants but I haven't gotten to the point of caring for them more than than the fish.

As long as I have the finances, I plan on keeping fish for a very long time.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I treat my fish as my pet's, looked after and cared for as I would my dog's well except I can't take them for a walk!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

I see this as a business opportunity if you are really into it and start breeding them.

I see this as a business opportunity if you are really into it and start breeding them.

I wouldn't expect to make a living wage unless ur breeding like single strain show bettas that are like $100 each, discus, or some saltwater fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well I am obsessed with fish and love them like pets, but so much time, money and effort are involved it is more like a hobby, plus I read a lot, join clubs, and I am just like I said, obsessed, so it is clearly a hobby. To me, a pet is a casual thing. You have animal that is your buddy only. You are not competing with that animal, or spending a lot of time on research or social interaction regarding that animal, etc. A hobby is the next level where you start competition, have heavy research, social interaction, etc. Like a family dog is a pet, a family dog that you take to dog shows and compete with is a pet and a hobby. A horse is a pet, a horse that you enter in competitions with becomes a hobby and a pet ;) So a pet is casual and a hobby is more work and involvement. The animal becomes a hobby and not a pet when that emotional attachment is gone. Many breeders have a hobby and not a pet ;) (although many breeders are still both because we love all of the fish, but some are emotionally uninvolved).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely a hobby. Maybe a problem :)

I think I saw a hobby defined as an activity that annoys the rest of your family when you find it fascinating lol.

I think I saw a hobby defined as an activity that annoys the rest of your family when you find it fascinating lol.

Mine is definitely my biggest hobby then lol

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

This is so true, I feel like I need to rein myself in sometimes or I just babble and babble.

Tough business:\

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very tough, unless you can afford the time and money for a huge facility. You're really just breaking even or maybe getting a small profit after you by food, meds, extra equipment and pay the electric and water bills.

But it's a good problem/addiction :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think maybe once you join a forum for aquarium advice, maybe it is a hobby????

Back
Top Bottom