Fish Legal or Illegal - How do I find out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BattleFurby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live in the USA and was wondering if there is a site or resource that any of you guys know of or use to determine if a particular fish is legal or illegal to possess.

It varies state to state. Get on your state fish and wildlife department website, should be able to find it from there.

Are we talking native fish here or buying fish? If you can find it in the lfs, i'm sure its legal, if your not sure, ask them.

I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen freshwater stingrays for sale in hole-in-the-wall stores in Houston's westside Chinatown, and I know for a fact they're illegal in Texas.

Well, if your not sure about one, i guess you could always come back here and ask lol. Or, you could call city hall, they know everything.

Under normal circumstances I would not refer you to a different 'fish' site but Aquatic Predators has put together a reasonably complete list of restricted fishes for most states. Of course...such a list is only as good as the last time it was updated so it is always best to check with your state's fish and wildlife department to see if anything has changed.

Here's a link to the Restricted Fishes forum of Aquatic Predators:

http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?s=cc225fa7674131ad59e1326bb0cd1df0&showforum=300

Hope this helps,

Joe

Back
Top Bottom