Fish less Cycle Problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panda Corydoras

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is a 20 gallon long, I started a fish less cycle about 5 weeks ago. I add ammonia whenever there is very little left in the tank, and about once a week I do a water change when the nitrite levels are way too high. But every time I test the water a few days later the nitrite levels shoot through the roof again. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? My friend who has two fresh water tanks doesn't even know what is happening so I had to bring it to you guys. This is going to be a shrimp tank if that provides any useful information. Thanks so much!

Sounds like you have a good population of ammonia processing bacteria but the nitrite processors haven't gotten going yet. Completely normal. Did you get any seeding material from your friend? The doubling rate for nitrifying bacteria is really long compared to other types of bacteria. Think 15 hours under ideal conditions. Sloooow. Starting with seed material really helps since you have many more to double. Otherwise, just be patient -- it always happens eventually.

Just take some bio media from your friend and put it in your filter. It will boost the process. Also you can add product like Seachem Stability, or Nutrafin Cycle, they're both BB boosting products. They contains the [nitrite->nitrate] processing BBs.

Stop dosing ammonia, and wait for nitrites for going down. If the levels are too high, it's possible that the bacterias don't develop...

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure I didn't stall the cycle or something, I can wait if that is worst case scenario. I will definitely ask my friend about that as well.

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure I didn't stall the cycle or something, I can wait if that is worst case scenario. I will definitely ask my friend about that as well.

Worst case scenario will be to do a 100% WC without cleaning filter, and add one drop of ammonia and wait...

Anyway, after 5 weeks cycling, I think you're ready to add some fishs. I know you have some nitrites buildup, but fishs doesn't produce much waste like your ammonia dosing... So if you make 100%WC, and add some hardy fishs, everything should be fine... Cause you'll bring levels at 0ppm.

Back
Top Bottom