Fish Load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swank

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 39 gallon tank, so I figure I have approx. 39 inches worth of possible fish load.

BUT ...

I have a planted tank with a fairly deep substrate (up to 5 inches in some places!!!) Will this reduce my fish load capacity? Or am I okay with the full 39 inches, because of the biological filter in the substrate??

It comes down to whether the fish have room to swim, really, not inches to gallons. A 12" deep (front to back) tank is pretty darn skinny, so if you have plants across the back of the tank, for instance, that will eat up quite a bit of swimming room. My 55 is heavily planted and is also a "skinny" tank, so I guess if I calculate it I have about 30" of fish in there, but I consider it quite well stocked.

No matter how much biofilter is present if the fish are stressed and fighting because they don't have enough room to establish a little turf, somewhere to hide, or room to school, then it won't matter, if you see what I mean.

I guess it also depends on what area of the tank each inch of fish prefers, if you are really going to break it down! Also depends on if you are using the length of the fish now, or full-grown length (I would use full-grown length that way they will be most happy)

I would just take additions slowly, adn choose tankmates wisely. I have learned taht if you pick the right fish, and add them slowly, you can see how they react towards the los of space. And of course, who they are in the tank with.

I would also take into consideration that different fish such as bottom dwellers and goldfish will create a lot more waste.

There are a lot of factors to consider when stocking your tank. :D

The 1" of fish/gal is a terrible rule, except for stocking fish that are only 1" long. You wouldn't keep a 10" oscar in a 10g tank now, would you?

should you go by the 1" a gallon rule with fish like tetras and other small schooling fish (or is that just a bad rule all together

There are other considerations in addition to the physical dimensions of the tank and how heavily it is planted. The type and amount of filtration can also make a big difference in how high you can stock a tank. For instance, if you have a power filter hanging on the back of the tank combined with another filter (or if you have one filter that is rated for a much bigger tank) you might be able to keep more fish without problems.

You might also want to increase the frequency and size of your water changes. In any case the slow and steady route of adding fish is the best way to avoid problems. I'm not saying I would recommend adding many more fish. I'm just saying it might be possible.

Hmmmm....lots of interesting information. So much of it seems to come down to:

1) Take things slow
2) Watch your fish to see how they are doing
3) Doing the standard stuff (water changes, good filtration/chemistry., etc)

The inch per gallon rule is fiction. The surface area of the water surface, where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide take place is the main factor. Artificial aeration allows to violate some of the rules. Besides, If you had a 50 gallon salt water tank, would you put in one 65 pound tuna? :p

Menagerie said:
Yep. What kind of fish are you considering?

Well, you can see the current fish load in my sig. I'd like to throw in a small school of small fish, harlequin rasboras probably, and some japonica shrimp. That'd probably be pushing it, wouldn't it? (although the rasboras are more surface fish than any of the others 'cept the gourami.)

I may just remove the ornery gourami and a couple SAEs, put 'em in a nano tank or something at work, and get those harlequins.

BTW Bassnman/TankGirl:
Yeah, understood. Wouldn't put a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon aquarium!!! Talk about cruel!!!
8O

Back
Top Bottom