Fish nets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingfishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was moving my fish into my new tank over the weekend. When it came to moving my PimPictus, (s)he thrashed around in the net so much that his one fin got caught in the net. When it came time to move him/her I could not get it out of the net, (s)he was by so stressed that trying to get it lose he almost broke it's back. Anyway the way I got him lose was by cutting a small hole, as close as possible to the fin, in my net. My net now has a hole and my pimpictus has a piece of net on his fin. Although I know this will at the end of the day not harm in anyway, did anyone have a similar experience and how did you get round it?

Well, from what I've seen with nets, the net is usually seemed very tight, so nothing can slip out etc, too small for a fin to get trapped in anyway. Is you're net quite big holed ?

It sounds like a bit of a freak accident, that hopefully won't happen again. You're filter should eventually attract the piece of caught net once it becomes free anyhow.

Yeah I know. The net is very finely knitted, but the fish does have spikey fins, much like corries.

When moving spiney fish, I tend to use a net to steer them into something else (eg a clean, never had detergent used on it plastic cup) then remove the cup or whatever.

hey

Similar topic... I'm thinking about getting a fresh water eel, like a Tire Track. When they get long, how do you go about moving eels? Seems like a net would be difficult, but I don't know too much...

I learned working a in a pet store that you should use the green nets with the larger holes for catfish/coreys or anthing else with spiney fins. I had to use one of the very fine nets for my move over the weekend as well, and I wasn't very happy about it. Anything with a siney fin will tend to either get stuck, or rip your net. I tried desperately to find my plain cheap-o green huge hole net because they're usually a little more durable with the cats and what not.

In addition to what LjGar said, there are definitely nets that are specific to a certain species, IE basically how the holes are thatched in relation to the fish's body.
If not in you're LFS, then online definitely.

Back
Top Bottom