fish not eating zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I put some zucchini in my tanks today and nobody but the pond snails are eating it. I cut it into strips and cooked it in the microwave until it was soft. I have Bettas and Corys and they aren't interested. Did I do something wrong?

No, they might just not like it. Btw, cooking it removes all the essential nutrients. Fish have teeth.

Is it the first time they've had it? A lot of fish will take a while to accept a new food.

In one of my betta tanks he and the nerite love the blanched zucchini only (as a treat/supplement), yet in the other 2 betta tanks they and their nerites love both blanched zucchini and blanched broccoli both (I rotate weekly)...I do this only once a week in each of the tanks.

Not all fish have teeth. Cooking does not remove all essential nutrients... Why would we eat cooked veggies then? Fish need them to be softened before they are able to eat the veggies.

Soaking the veggies in garlic helps to make it seem more appetizing to them.

I agree though that bettas and cories probably wouldn't like veggies.

Not all fish have teeth. Cooking does not remove all essential nutrients... Why would we eat cooked veggies then? Fish need them to be softened before they are able to eat the veggies.

Soaking the veggies in garlic helps to make it seem more appetizing to them.

I agree though that bettas and cories probably wouldn't like veggies.
Hmm, i generalize a lot my topics, so don't think i was trying to falsified information :(

Well I tried. I will try peas next time. My snails are having a total feast though so it wasn't a total waste of produce!

I put some zucchini in my tanks today and nobody but the pond snails are eating it. I cut it into strips and cooked it in the microwave until it was soft. I have Bettas and Corys and they aren't interested. Did I do something wrong?

My cories never touch the zucchini that ive noticed. It's only my platies, and apparently my rainbows like it as well, my black ruby barbs nibble at it every now and then... But my pleco will stay on a medallion forever. But it also took my pleco a few times of me feeding it for him to find the zucchini.

Most of my fish like peas but you need to take a few peas, cook them in water in the microwave to soften them, drain water, deshell, then smush them up as they are much easier for cories and some types of fish to eat. The betta won't eat them but the cory's should. I actually feed peas about every 3rd day along with alittle of their normal food.

My betta actually likes peas. My corys do too. I haven't seen them eat the other veggies I've offered though....the snails, shrimp and Otos seem to like other veggies better.

My betta actually likes peas. My corys do too. I haven't seen them eat the other veggies I've offered though....the snails, shrimp and Otos seem to like other veggies better.

I'll have to try peas for my cories!

Back
Top Bottom