Fish Personalities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, is it totally weird that I name my fish? I mean, no one would have a dog and not name it, right? Well, I love my fish just as much, lol, and I'm finding that some of them just have such unique personalities that it seems wrong for them not to have names.

For example, the red dwarf gourami in my 50g comm. tank is so mellow, and will come up to the glass and stare back at me like he is trying to tell me something. We call him "The Face of BO". And we named our 2 mystery snails "The Doctor(10)" and "Rose". The Doctor is full of energy and never stops zooming(well, the snail version of zooming) from one side of the tank to the other, while Rose keeps to her favorite spots. We also have 2 orange Glofish we call "Fred" and "George". The fact that we can't tell them apart at all doesn't matter, because they never stray too far away from each other.

Does anyone else have any cool fish names and/or personality stories?

My tire track eel was named Eelfrick. He was nice and would eat out of my hand. I had him about 12 years and then he died.

2 weeks ago I bought a baby peacock eel. Her name is Eelvilyn. When I first bought her she hid every time she saw me. Now, when I come into the room in the morning she is hiding behind a plant but watching me and doesn't run, she knows its feeding time. In another month I'll try to hand feed her. Maybe sooner if she seems less frightened of me.

I have three Tin Foil Barbs in my big tank. They are Moe, Larry and Curly. They are a schooling fish so you see their personalities in the group more than with me. Although they do all come to the front of the tank and beg when I come into the room to watch TV.

We name our Betta's after Greek gods and heroes, Achilles, Phoebus, Paris, Adonis, Ajax. We've had a lot of them over the years.

I had a black moor named Othello. He was a nice fish that would eat out of my hand.

I've got a clown pleco named Gacy.

So many, I name all my fish.

i had a black skirt tetra called quagmire (from family guy) sadly he died but we call the other black skirts quags ,and my white skirts are pinkies ,my pleco is called mick after mr jagger, my gold molly is called bertha , and the rest are my babies :) not had chance to name them all but i will once the family stops growing ;)

I think naming pets is quite normal, no matter if they fly, swim or walk. Only reason my fish and snails don't have names is numbers.. too many to keep track of.

I did once have a Black Moor goldfish I called SOB. He used to drive my little turtles nuts nibbling their bellies when I would put them into his tank to eat the snails. They were much too small to do him any harm, so he harassed them unmercifully. Hence SOB, which was not popular with Mom at all at the time.

My fish growing up was Felix (yes, like the cat) a longear sunfish. He was awesome, smart, killed anything you put in the tank, but would eat from my hand. He lived about 8 years and then died when I was on vacation.

Now I have Her Highness and Her Majesty plus too many to count without names.

image-2565219882.jpg

Mars the male black convict that will come up to the glass to greet me.

image-4270440108.jpg

Hershey the female pink convict. She will ALMOST eat out of my hand.

Attachments

• image-1974201575.jpg
    image-1974201575.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 61
I name the majority of my fish. I mean i thought thats what normal people did ;)

This is the Coral Choir:

image-3962291292.jpg

This is Sunny:

image-2502263907.jpg

This is Summer:

image-841092858.jpg

This is Wander: (yes my fiancée named it after watching The Host)

image-4261366587.jpg

This is Jarred:

image-1979165523.jpg

This is Jamie:

image-1855340840.jpg

However my Neon Tetras and Harlequins don't have names they are just "fish" :p

I have 5 neons, only one has been named... He has a red gill on the left side, only thing that sets him apart, so I named him: "Gilliam"

(I Love You Man... anyone?)

My Betta is Marshall (another ref... United States of Tara, awesome series)

My pea puffer is "Piopii" (Paul Rudd's character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall... jeez I like inside jokes I guess)

I have an ugly green emerald cory I had to buy out of sheer pity, he is truly Fugly but I knew that's how he got bigger than the other cories at my LFS, always passed over. So he is a trooper, outlived my other cories and I dubbed him :"Bruce Banner".

I used to name snails but now I forget the original 3, an apple, ramshorn and assassin snail. If I buy a new assassin I am naming it "Nikita" and/or "Lizbeth" (50 points if you can name either film!!!!!!!)

QUOTE="marsh;2638054"] ...If I buy a new assassin I am naming it "Nikita" and/or "Lizbeth" (50 points if you can name either film!!!!!!!)[/QUOTE]
La Femme Nikita
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
When I had goldfish I named them. Currently I have smaller tropical species (danios/tetras) and really just view them as ammonia suppliers for my planted tank :(

...If I buy a new assassin I am naming it "Nikita" and/or "Lizbeth" (50 points if you can name either film!!!!!!!)

Sorry...double post...

La Femme Nikita
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

When I had goldfish I named them. Currently I have smaller tropical species (danios/tetras) and really just view them as ammonia suppliers for my planted tank :(

We got 5 danios and called them the Fish Fingers. Sadly we're down to 3 now but can't bring ourselves to change them.

When you have a 4 year old the naming becomes a bit more random! We currently have a female platy called Steven. Hey ho!

All fish should be named :)

My distinctive ones get names, but not so much the schoolers.

My male bettas get princess names, this is Princess Cookie from adventure time, and one was princess peach from Mario.
image-1133912750.jpg

The angel is frank.
image-1301341466.jpg

The Bolivian rams are Lenny and Squiggy.
image-3212654533.jpg

Still debating on the bristlenose. I call him whiskers for now, but don't think it suits him...
image-624256057.jpg

And the frogs. I had Finn and jake, also from adventure time, but Finn died and jake turned out to be a girl. Then there's runt, and the twins because I can't tell them apart.
image-2157687018.jpg

Attachments

• image-1191181357.jpg
    image-1191181357.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom