Fish placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a. 5 gallon with 7 glofish in it and a 10 gallon with a bunch if glofish fry, 2 ottos, and 1 rubbernose pleco. I'm trying to decide what to put in the 5 gal? The two ottos? Or the rubbernose? Or maybe a snail or something?

Attachments

• image-3216260145.jpg
    image-3216260145.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3605909616.jpg
    image-3605909616.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 79
A pleco in a 5 gal?!

I don't think you've researched that fish, they get pretty big! And they produce waaaaay too much waste for such a small tank.

I'd recommend rehoming the plec or getting a huge new home for him/her!

It's a rubbernose. They are sposed to stay pretty small (5-6 inches). Maybe I should put the ottos in the 5 gallon and keep the rubbernose in the 10

It's a rubbernose. They are sposed to stay pretty small (5-6 inches). Maybe I should put the ottos in the 5 gallon and keep the rubbernose in the 10

I know how big the fish gets and that's exactly why I suggested what I did.

5 gallons if pretty small for Ottos, they need an area large enough to graze on the algae that grows, and a 5 gal tank will struggle to grow enough with the area it has.

I'd say get rid of the plec, leave the Ottos in the 10 and maybe get a single male betta for the 5.

False 7-8 inches some have had them grow to 10 inches....i seen one at my lfs that was about 10 inches. they require 25+ gal tank

Bristlenose would be better as they only get about 4 inches but plecos all have big bioloads
my bristlenose is in a 15 gal (going in my 29 gal soon) i do 2 water changes a week to
keep her happy and clean.

I don't how much more you can put in the 5 gal tho its a very small tank....a snail(s) would be ok or even some shrimp

I guess I will bring the rubbernose back or put it in my bros 29 gal. And keep ottos in the ten. Do I even need anything in the 5 for algea?

I guess I will bring the rubbernose back or put it in my bros 29 gal. And keep ottos in the ten. Do I even need anything in the 5 for algea?

If you've got a lot of algae growing then there will be an underlying issue tbh.

And I'm gonna say that a 29gal is still too small for and adult plec.

But for now, it will be ok depending on the stock of the 29 currently.

Maybe if a lot of algea grows in there then I can swap the otos over there for a week or so and then put then back in the 10. The parameters are the same in both tanks and they are side by side.

Maybe if a lot of algea grows in there then I can swap the otos over there for a week or so and then put then back in the 10. The parameters are the same in both tanks and they are side by side.

Swapping the fish will cause stress, and ottos are extremely fickle when it comes to stress.

If there is algae, try a snail or a cluster of RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) to keep it clean and populated.

How many of those shrimp? I don't want snails multiplying like crazy in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom