fish poop heavier then sand-- vacuum won't pick up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've noticed as I vacuum my tank I mainly pick up sand instead of the waste and debris. I have really fine sand so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. What are your suggestions??

previously when confronted with this problem, i got a new net and assigned it to be a poop scoop. scoop the sand with poop, sift it til its only poop and chuck in the bin or in a bucket being used for the water change and repeat til its all gone :)

I have the same problem with the super naturals sand. Doesn't seem to be so bad with pool filter sand or blasting sand.

Alright I'll try using a net to sift it out, its so frustrating since I don't want to disturb the sand too much but I got to do what I've got to do lol. Its play sand so its super soft and fine

I'm having this same problem. I love it when I don't have to make a new thread hehe. But I shall try the net trick.

This suggestion may sound a bit silly but hear it goes! I have one of those Eheim vacs but the impeller broke & getting a new one costs as much as a whole new vac. So, I took one of daughters water squirters. Came from the good ole dollar store & looks like giant crayon & it's about 21/2 ft long. Just hover it over poop & pull handle & it sucks up just about anything. Great for spot cleaning!!

That doesn't sound silly at all! If I can find one I might just try it. Is it basically a giant siringe? (however you spell that)

A giant syringe! That's a good comparison!!! Exactly like one! But you don't even have to put your hands in the tank. Dollar tree stores have them but I think you may find them in any big chain store where water toys are. :)

jlk said:
This suggestion may sound a bit silly but hear it goes! I have one of those Eheim vacs but the impeller broke & getting a new one costs as much as a whole new vac. So, I took one of daughters water squirters. Came from the good ole dollar store & looks like giant crayon & it's about 21/2 ft long. Just hover it over poop & pull handle & it sucks up just about anything. Great for spot cleaning!!

Wow jlk that's brilliant lol... I use to love them things didn't know they still made them haha

I was having the same issue with my pooping machines (catfish). I took the 2 inch diameter tube off the end of the syphon and bought a Christmas tree adapter and some 1/2 inch diameter refrigerator line tubing because it is more stiff and cut to length for the depth of my tank. Works great to suck up the debris.

Back
Top Bottom