Fish @ School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWaddict

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, the fish I gave to my advanced bio teacher at my high school is feeding my fish BETTA FOOD!!! and he has no other food, and school is out so I am thinking my fish are going to starve over the summer, it makes me sad that a biology teacher doesnt have any reg fish food and decides to give my fish some crappy betta food(no offense just sayin its crappy for my fish) So am I getting worked up over nothing about this? Or should I start my 29 gal over the summer and take my fish back home at the beginning of the school year??

I just don't want the fish that I worked hard to raise being treated badly :(

Input on this would be great.

As far as I know, betta food is pretty much just like many other types of fish food with regard to ingredients.

So the betta food isn't abuse to my fish?

The fish in that tank are 2 angel fish, 1 blood parrot cichlid(pretty mellow fish) and 1 zebra danio(there used to be 10 at my house but they disappeared) and that danio has lived with them for a LONG time

Ya they'll probably be fine with the betta food. And if it's starve or eat betta food they'll eat betta food.

And in my experience, being a bio teacher doesn't necessarily translate to being a good fish keeper/sitter.

Todd2 said:
And in my experience, being a bio teacher doesn't necessarily translate to being a good fish keeper/sitter.
agreed, as a science teacher, unless the bio teacher has kept fish before, of has some experience with fish, they may not know the first thing about keeping fish. a teaching degree does not make one all knowing (i am of course the exception to that rule :p )

The only thing that I am worried about is that parrot cichlids get rather large right? And if I remember correctly, betta food is pretty small. I think if I were you I would try to contact the teacher and give them some food that is easier for it to eat. Just say you found it at home or something if you don't want him/her to know that you are worried that the fish might starve. Say "here is some food that I found at my house that I thought you could use since you are taking care of my fish for me." That is all you need to do if you are worried.

FWaddict said:
the thing is... school is out and I have no way of coming in contact with the teacher

Search his name on Yahoo! White Pages. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I know, but it sounds like I am making excuses but... there are 2 teachers at our school that don't give out their first names. They are both science teachers... even on their teaching degrees it doesn't say their first name. So I am going to have trouble getting a hold of him, and school doesn't give out teachers names/numbers/addresses found that one out a couple days ago...

Going in to bio teaching this is what I would do-
Call the principal or the secretary, they are there right now over the summer. Over the summer they shut down the buildings (except for summer school courses) and all sorts of bad things could be going on (furniture moving, floor waxing, no power, heater off, etc). Let them know who you are and see if you can get in touch with the teacher because you would like to take care of the fish over the summer, just to be safe. Or, ask is there is anyway they could let you into the classroom once a week to check on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom