Fish scraping of gravel and plants ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TASHANCRAIG

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish look like they gone mad a few of them are throwing their bodies and tails aginst things is this because of ammonia or nitrites or is it ich ???????????? Cant see any white spot on anyone:(

You are experiencing Flashing. Flashing is the term used for fish attempting to "scratch an itch" as they scrape against tank decor. The name comes from the swift, jerky movement as the fish bounces and turns, catching the light.

This could be several things. Ich is the best case (do they have white spots that look like grains of salt on their bodies, gills, or fins?). Easily treated with heat or salt.

Or it could be anything else that lives on the skin. Flukes (parasitic worms, sometimes not visible to the eye), fungus, or bacterial infections can cause it, just to name the ones that I know. I would dose melafix and pimafix if it does not look like Ich, and do further research and observation. Are there any other symptoms?

If you have prime, I would add a full tank's dose. It will at least detoxify some ammonia and nitrite.

You are experiencing Flashing. Flashing is the term used for fish attempting to "scratch an itch" as they scrape against tank decor. The name comes from the swift, jerky movement as the fish bounces and turns, catching the light.

This could be several things. Ich is the best case (do they have white spots that look like grains of salt on their bodies, gills, or fins?). Easily treated with heat or salt.

Or it could be anything else that lives on the skin. Flukes (parasitic worms, sometimes not visible to the eye), fungus, or bacterial infections can cause it, just to name the ones that I know. I would dose melafix and pimafix if it does not look like Ich, and do further research and observation. Are there any other symptoms?

If you have prime, I would add a full tank's dose. It will at least detoxify some ammonia and nitrite.

hi all my levels are now ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 12.5 ph 7-7.5 tank is now fully cycled i have had the temp up above 86f treating for ich as spotted a couple white spots on a platy and then my blue ram lost a ram too and a female dwarf gourami. no signs on my other fish but my neon dwarf gouramis and my swordtails still scraping against gravel and decor. temp has been up for over 2wks now too.
any ideas ??????
if use chemicals will it harm my cycled tank or any of my fish and kill them

Melafix and pimafix do not harm the biological filter.

Continue with elevated temperatures. Mela/pima are a great "catch all" for anything attacking the fish from the exterior. Not only does they help with bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections, but they also stimulate slime coat production. The slime coat is how the fish fights these infections in the first place.

Melafix and pimafix do not harm the biological filter.

Continue with elevated temperatures. Mela/pima are a great "catch all" for anything attacking the fish from the exterior. Not only does they help with bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections, but they also stimulate slime coat production. The slime coat is how the fish fights these infections in the first place.

loosing fish lost a guppy a swordtail and a ram in 1 day ????? some other fish looking lathargic sitting around ???? is it coz of my temp being up or is it more than ich
do you know any quick treatments to help my ich or wil just temp alone kill it off

When they flash does it look like they try to scratch around the gill area and do they suddenly dart around the tank or swim in a strange way one of mine started swimming nose up and tail down and shaking. Flukes treatment stopped it in a matter of hours

Also it could be nothing at all, all my fish flash but other then 1 tank, never amounted to anything at all.
set the tank to 88 degrees for no less then 4 weeks, add a little salt to aid in stress relief/slime coat regeneration.

The combination of high temperature + ich infestation (which harms gill respiration) can sort of "double up" on the fish, but the high temp is needed to beat the disease.

Temp alone will kill it, it's a bit of a waiting game though. Salt will help with the treatment if you want to add it, although it can get rather complicated.

When they flash does it look like they try to scratch around the gill area and do they suddenly dart around the tank or swim in a strange way one of mine started swimming nose up and tail down and shaking. Flukes treatment stopped it in a matter of hours

yeh they try to scratch there face and sides ???? then some have been swimming head up tail down towards the top of the tank then going uside down and sidways???? need to do something fast b4 its all to late my neons have lots white spots on them now tooive had temp up above 30c 86f and not seem to be working ????
can i add anythingin like protozin ???? will this help

my 1st case of ich i just killed off with temp after 2 wks but cant seem to get rid of this lot :mad::mad:

Hmmm First of all I am sorry you and your fish are suffering you have a really nice set up. I had the same problems but did not have Ich at the time and found that Water life Sterazin which treats gill and body flukes stopped the strange behavior very quickly you may have a break out of Ich due to stress on the fish and Ich can show the same problems as attacks the gills too . Its not an exact science and the route you choose will determine the outcome. If you go to animal-world.com they have a great tool to help try out what is wrong its half way down the first page in the diseases in fresh water fish section you need to look into it a bit and go through the diseases and choose the one that fits best.

Hmmm First of all I am sorry you and your fish are suffering you have a really nice set up. I had the same problems but did not have Ich at the time and found that Water life Sterazin which treats gill and body flukes stopped the strange behavior very quickly you may have a break out of Ich due to stress on the fish and Ich can show the same problems as attacks the gills too . Its not an exact science and the route you choose will determine the outcome. If you go to animal-world.com they have a great tool to help try out what is wrong its half way down the first page in the diseases in fresh water fish section you need to look into it a bit and go through the diseases and choose the one that fits best.

after bit research think it mite be velvet i have as that has all the signs of what my fish have lost couple guppies and a ram again my tank looks quite empty now i only have my golden nugget pleco 11 neons 12 guppies 2 dalmation mollies 2 male dwarf gouramis 3 platies and a swordtail. still quite a few fish but lots fish lost(not a happy chappy). i have protozin medication in now treats both ich and velvet plus few other bacteria. so hopefully fingers crossed mite save the rest.
will keep a eye out for any more loses.
think 1 of my new rams mite have brought in something as was all fine up until then ???? but who knows need to invest in a small hospital tank i think for future use and introduction of new fish.
when fish are in a hospital tank do you treat them with meds 1st or just keepan eye out for diseases ????????????????????????

You just make sure they are not sick. I have medication here that says you can treat when you introduce new fish but go natural don't add medication unless you have too and rather wait for the satisfaction of being able to see them in the main tank knowing they did not bring infection into it and that everybody's better off as they died in the hospital tank rather. Velvet I think is nastier than they say after all the fish suffer. I have just had a bout of it, The medication did not work for weeks. I changed tactic did a 50% water change removed all scaleless fish and snails and salted my water 3/4 teaspoon to gallon and over night had much success to wake and find my Gourami's well and happy. Build your tank slowly by limiting the amount of fish you introduce at once. I set a budget of 1 pound a week so have to save to buy a 4 pound fish the others 4 weeks to get used to each other. Of course I spend money on many other things like gravel new plants maybe or food but fish introductions are limited by the one pound rule.I know their is nothing better than seeing a tank full of fish instantly.The hospital tanks beats seeing a tank full of dead ones overnight.
My hospital has become a baby breeding center so no bought new ones for me for a while.

Back
Top Bottom