Fish Still Flashing After Treatment...What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thutton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have Caught my Clown Loaches and a Cory Flashing it is possible that one of my Gourami's is flashing against the heater and filter tube.

there is Not one Single White Spot...Should I start the Heat treatment as a pre-emptive strike or wait it out...

It isnt just one flash in a week it is rather often....

Thank You

I would start the heat treatment asap as ich can be present without any outward signs. Loaches are very prone to ich so turning the heat up will definately help them. Also lower the water or add an airstone to create more aeration in the water. Good luck.

I have had the heat up to 87/88 degrees for almost 2 weeks now and the Clown Loaches are still flashing, the gourmai's seem to have stopped but the loaches seem to have gotten more frequent, there is still no sign of ich.

I am wondering if there is any other reason they may flash and should I just keep the temp up there until 2 weeks after they STOP no matter how long that is?

All of my fish seem to be doing fine the 2 peppered cories are a little less active but other then that all seems normal with every fish except the loaches.

Any thoughts?

I may have something for you. As far as the peppered cories are concerned, since fish are cold blooded their metabolic rates are obviously controlled by the temperature, The warmer it gets (generally) the more active the fish is and the faster it digests its food, to a certain point, if the water temperature gets to high it will have the opposite effect and make them lazier, just a thought.
Anyway. I looked up the way you said your loaches were flashing in one of my books and found something. I"ll just type up the excerpt.
Its from the book "exotic aquarium fishes" By Dr. William T. Innes.
He says:
"Itch- this is different from "Ick." The fishes seem to itch, but do not develop white spots, nor do they dash about as with Flukes. Neither is it usually fata.l. THe cause arises from numerous organisms which devlop from too many settlings and uneaten food in the aquarium. Remove nothing and give the aquarium a 1/4 grain to the gallon permanganate treatment for 2 hours. Siphon the bottom, drawing off about half the water, and replace with clear, conditioned water. THe remaining manganate will soon clear itself."
It seems to pretty accurately describe what you were talking about. You could try siphoning hte tank really well and maybe adding a little aquarium salt to help the fish. Just a thought, hope this helps.

"Itch- this is different from "Ick." The fishes seem to itch, but do not develop white spots, nor do they dash about as with Flukes. Neither is it usually fata.l. THe cause arises from numerous organisms which devlop from too many settlings and uneaten food in the aquarium. Remove nothing and give the aquarium a 1/4 grain to the gallon permanganate treatment for 2 hours. Siphon the bottom, drawing off about half the water, and replace with clear, conditioned water. THe remaining manganate will soon clear itself."
It seems to pretty accurately describe what you were talking about. You could try siphoning hte tank really well and maybe adding a little aquarium salt to help the fish. Just a thought, hope this helps.

Is that a subtle way of saying your levels are to high and your fish is getting chemical poisoning
I would have to agree, this is most likely the situation.

Back
Top Bottom