Fish Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr Grant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am about to get done with my fishless cycle and was thinking about what I should put in it. I have a 30 gal tank and would really like to get some FW invertabrates. Some snails or a crayfish would be really cool. Shrimp are cool also. I guess my question is what type of fish would be good for these? Any suggestions on fish and invertabrates combos would be great appreciated.

If your going to plan on getting crayfish, this will limit your fish stocking ability to 0. I would count those out. As for shrimps, well, I suppose that all depends on what kind of shrimp you like. I'm a personal fan of either rock shrimp or ghost shrimp. Both are communal and getting along with most species of fish. As for fish, are you looking for schooling? livebearer? aggressive? cichlid? goldfish?

Also, what kind of set up do you have in your tank?

That sucks, crayfish are pretty cool. ohh well. I was looking at gettting some tropical community fish but i'm open to suggestions. As for setup, i dont know what exactly you mean, but i got some fake plants a big rock and a piece of driftwood. I could build shelters for fish or inverts.

Edit: ouch, i just checked my ph and it's extremely low, 6.0 maybe a little less. Is that from the driftwood? should i take it out? or is there something else i can do. Are there any fish or inverts that would like this?
Thanks for any input

It could be from the driftwood. Especially when first added, it will leach compounds that lower the pH. Did you soak it before adding it to the tank? It is also possible that your tap water is particularly low (although 6.0 would be odd). Have you tested it at all?

My waters is like 7.4, but i didn't soak my driftwood, oops. good thing i have no fish yet. Is there something i can do about this?

Back
Top Bottom