fish store gave me a MESSED UP FISH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littletank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there. I went to my lfs today and asked for a honey and blue dwarf gourami. They had like 20 in a tank and I looked them all over really well and they all seemed healthy, so I didn't pick out a particular one.

Well, when I get home and put his little bag in to adjust to the temp I noticed he has a chunk of his top fin missing. I'm so mad, but the fish store is waaaaaay across town, and he seems like he's got a cool personality and the others in the tank are getting along well with him, so I'm going to keep him.

My problem is this. I DO NOT want to start medicating (Melafix)my tank. It's been running smoothly for quite some time now. Meds always mess things up and don't really work anyway or just cause some new problem.

It doesn't really look like fin rot because all of his other fins look fine and there is no "fraying". It just literally looks like it was torn or bit off, but it doesn't seem infected or like it's bothering him. I added stress coat. Is there anything else you can suggest doing? Oh, also, I didn't notice any fin rot or any infections on any of the fish in the tank he came from.

thanks,
littletank :)

i dont think you need to. one of my bettas was pretty shreeded up. about 2 weeks later hes almost whole.

just keep your water clean i woudl say..

goo call melafix kills gouramis

It's always better to quarrantine new additions just in case they come in with some nasty bacterial disease.

I would increase your water changes until the fin heals. Try replacing 30 - 50% twice a week. I've had alot of success curing frayed fins just by water changes.

Of course, keep an eye on this fish for signs of infection (redness and cottony growths), and have some kanamycin-based meds on hand just in case.

I agree, you definitely need to keep an eye out so you can start medicating if it gets worse. But if it doesn't, it could well be that he was victim to another fish's mouth. No biggie. My betta bites his tail (and his anal and dorsal fins on occassion) so I'm constantly dealing with shredded fins. I don't know about gouramis, but with bettas (and mollies), the regrow quickly. One trick I've heard is the "darkness method." Supposedly, if you keep your fish in darkness for 24 hrs, that helps with regrowth. I've never done it (because quite frankly, my betta would be in darkness 24/7, trying to regrow his shredded fins) but apparently it works. Anyway, if you keep your water sparkling clean, fin regrowth is rarely a big deal. Soon, hopefully, your new fish will be good as new!

One of my gouramis just got over a columnaris infection, one of the colmnaris patches was on his dorsal fin and it basically ate away a big chunk of the fin. After the treatment got rid of the infection, his fin grew back within 4-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom