Fish Stress (Bolivian Ram)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nekkoriv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to make this one short. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with 4 phantom tetras, 2 bolivian rams, 1 rainbow shark, and 1 Pictus catfish in it. I bout the Pictus and A second Bolivian Ram yesterday while I had my other Ram for a little over a month now. My original Bolivian Ram has "stress spots" My new one had them when he first entered the tank, but after 20 minutes or so they disappeared. I recently got my water tested (I plan on getting my own test kit) and they said my water was okay. But, why is one stressed and the other one is not? Also the one with the stress spots doesn't act stressed at all. He swims around like he's loving life. It's just the spots I'm worried about. I actually bought the second Bolivian to see if it made him happy. Could I be under feeding him? I feed my fish once a day, about the amount they can eat in 30 seconds or so (I don't want to over feed the 1" tetras), but he is about 2.5 inches so I bet he's hungry. Should I try feeding my fish the amount they can eat in a minute? Thanks for your time and patience.

Edit: I just did a small (6 gallon) water change as well as rearranging the decor. This seemed to have taken care of almost half of his stress spots. I think I'm on the road to success. Is there anything else that I can do to help him? More plants? More hiding spots?

Last edited:
Rams are pretty sensitive to water conditions. Ph and nitrate. So the fact you don't have a testing kit of your own and have your lfs testing your water may have something to do with it. Your first ram has been in the tank over a month. So it may be stressed from something "off" in you system. the stress spots are a first sign that the ram isn't well. I wouldn't add any more fish until you have your own testing kit and see some improvement in your fish. Also you may want to do some research. Also how long has the tank been up?

phishfriend said:
Also your Pictus catfish has a max size of around 10 inches. So your rams may end up as food.

Sry I was wrong I was looking at the Leiarius pictus. Your cat max size is Around 5".

Back
Top Bottom