Fish suddenly aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
All of my fish have suddenly become aggressive today. They've all lived together for about 3 months and I have never had any problems, but I woke up this morning and they are all being very aggressive towards each other. They are especially picking on my clown loach. My clown pleco seems to be the one that has become the most aggressive, he shoots across the bottom of the tank if he sees anyone eating off the bottom of the tank. All my water parameters are right where they should be. Is this normal or am I just worrying for nothing?

I know my clown pleco is territorial, it doesn't want any fish near its hiding place. If your fish are becoming mature they may be staking out territories some fish want more than their fair share. How big is your tank?

It's a 10G at the moment but tomorrow I'm going to pick up a 90G, I'll move the fish to after it's been cycled. I'm thinking about going off and buying some more plants, do you think that'll help?

My clown pleco could care less if other fish are nearby. What size is this tank, and what exactly is your stock list? Can you post specific test results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Well the tank is a 10G, but like I said, a 90G is coming later this week. I have a Clown Pleco (1.5"), a Clown Loach (1"), a Rainbow Shark (3"), and a Black Ghost Knife (4").

As for the test results, I'm not sure about Ammonia, but my nitrate was 20ppm, my nitrites are 0ppm, the hardness is 150 ppm, the alkalinity is 80-120 ppm, and the pH is 7.2. I just got done doing my weekly water change, so maybe that'll help.

Once they get in the big aquarium you will probably see the aggression go way down. Plants and caves will probably help with them establishing their own territory. What type of foods are you feeding your clown pleco? I find when I feed mine broccoli or cauliflower is more aggressive until it has gotten its fill.

He seems to enjoy the flakes that float to the bottom but I give him some zucchini once or twice a week.

Well the tank is a 10G, but like I said, a 90G is coming later this week. I have a Clown Pleco (1.5"), a Clown Loach (1"), a Rainbow Shark (3"), and a Black Ghost Knife (4").

As for the test results, I'm not sure about Ammonia, but my nitrate was 20ppm, my nitrites are 0ppm, the hardness is 150 ppm, the alkalinity is 80-120 ppm, and the pH is 7.2. I just got done doing my weekly water change, so maybe that'll help.

Yeah sorry, I was apparently typing as you posted.:p LOL

Well obviously you know that 10 gallons is much too small for the fish you have. Good thing you're picking up that 90. You should notice a LOT less aggression once your fish move. My clown pleco is in a 120 and sometimes I can't even find him, lol. The single clown loach kinda concerns me... he would appreciate some buddies, but a 90 gallon really isn't large enough to support a group of CLs at adult size. I'm not really sure what to tell you unless you want to rehome the CL and choose a smaller loach species.

I plan to stock the 90 gallon with another clown loach and some yo yo loachs or botia loachs as well. From what I've read clown loachs grow at a very slow rate so I'll have enough time to pick up a much bigger tank by the time they grow to adult size. Any suggestions for the stock of my 90 gallon? Or my 10 gallon once it is empty?

Ember tetras would be cool for the 10, or maybe some Endler's. I picked up a couple of peacock gudgeons yesterday, that would be sweet too for a 10.

As far as stocking the 90, are you looking for more of a community setup or semi-aggressive? Choose fish that won't fit in the BGK's mouth later on. ;)

I'm looking at a more community set-up for the 90. I've heard that some loachs will school with other loachs (i.e. botia's will school with yo yo's) so I might have the two clown loachs, and then 1 or 2 of the botia's and yo yo's. I want to put a betta in there too, but I'm concerned that it'll be aggressive toward the other fish. My BGK will be moved to a larger tank when he gets closer to reaching full size and after I move, lol.

I'll look into those fish for my 10G.

im sure someone has mentioned it before and ill be honest i havent read everyone thread. The clown pleco and rainbow shark are both pretty aggressive and territorial. I would include into your 90 gallon tank tons of rock caves of some sort and plants silk fake ones or real ones your prefrence. And i would watch the rainbow shark cause those suckers get pretty mean

I agree that rainbow sharks are best left to a semi-aggressive tank (mine does quite well for itself that way and I would never put it in a community), but must disagree about the clown pleco. I've had mine for about 6 years and have observed many in the LFS I worked for, and find them to be excellent community fish. If you see aggression from a clown pleco, I'd re-examine the tank size and stocking. ;)

The 90G is going to be moderately to heavily planted, with plenty of other hiding spots.

I have what i believe to be Lava Rock red color looks real nice with live pants around it. its rather cheap rock and look very nice. Also a nice hiding spot not to mention good for bacteria to grow on

I've never thought about the lava rock before, I'll definitely check it out.

When I move my fish to the bigger tank, should I introduce them slowly like I did to my 10G?

yes but only because safe is better than sorry. for temperature reason just like getting a fish at the fish store. couple of minutes acclimating and off they go. Im interested in knowing when you are suppose to put the rainbow in. Either first or last i would assume. Allow the others to establish territoty first or vice versa anyone know?

That was going to be my next question, I think I'll add the Rainbow shark first, then the BGK, then the pleco, and the loachs last. I might keep my pleco in the 10G and go with another species for clean up in my 90.

pleco cant stay in a 10 gallon thats too small for him/her. Best to put him in the 90 now i would think putting the shark in last would be best that way he cant get as much territory maybe

I've never thought about the lava rock before, I'll definitely check it out.

When I move my fish to the bigger tank, should I introduce them slowly like I did to my 10G?

If you move your filter and/or media over to the 90 gallon at the same time you will have a very abbreviated cycle. It won't be instant, and you will probably have to do several water changes the first week, but as long as you keep your test kit handy you'll be golden. A 90 is large enough so that I wouldn't be too terribly concerned over your fish claiming territories at the size they are now, as they have not reached sexual maturity.

Back
Top Bottom