Fish Suggestions for Small Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying different fish in my small heavily planted 5G tank and not haven't much lucky really.

Tried a 1in goby type fish (never found actually sp.) and he jumped out of the tank, found him all dried up.

Tried 3 small rasboras h. and 1 jumped, removed the other 2 into a bigger tank then they got eaten by my angels.

I'm thinking a betta, but my current is kind of strongish and I know they don't prefer much water movement. Plus if I got one I would have to try to order one because all the ones at LFS are in such poor shape and poor color it would be worth it.

Anyways so do you guys have any suggestions on fish suitable for a 5G heavily planted aquarium? I know i'm limited because of the size but there has to be some kind of fish suitable.

Also I am getting a glass lid of the tank, so dont' worry about that :D

Like I said small school. Websites say that a dozen can be held in a standard 24x12x12 tank, which is 15G.

I can still get 3-4 in a 5G. They will have plenty of hiding spots and plenty of room to swim.
they swim on the bottom. the scavange thru the sand. how much BOTTOM swimming space can they honestly have with a heavily planted tank?

Go with the betta. its perfect for him. sure the bettas at petco look bad, but thats why i buy from there ( not to mention they are cheep as dirt), its like saving a betta life. i have a sorority and 2 male bettas, i only get mine from petco/petsmart and have had only 1 die on me. they are very hardy sp of fish and it gives u a nice rescuer feeling afterwards. plus u dont have to spend 40-50$ on a fish

Go with the betta. its perfect for him. sure the bettas at petco look bad, but thats why i buy from there ( not to mention they are cheep as dirt), its like saving a betta life. i have a sorority and 2 male bettas, i only get mine from petco/petsmart and have had only 1 die on me. they are very hardy sp of fish and it gives u a nice rescuer feeling afterwards. plus u dont have to spend 40-50$ on a fish

Well the bettas online are only $15 and are amazing looking. I might just get a betta from my lfs or online then maybe a trio of dwarf cories.

$15 online still means a 30$ shipping charge, with the chance of a DOA, which u then have to go throught the hassle of sending it back, taking the picture with a closed bag.

Ironically by buying and "saving" a fish, you pay for them to stock 2 more :p..

Personally I think you could fit 2-3 normal sized cories semi-comfortably in a 5 gallon, so dwarf cories should be fine.

From what I remember (assuming I'm thinking about the right fish) rainbows get around 3" and have the same personality of hatchetfish/killifish, I'm not sure if they would be the best choice for a 5 gallon.

Ironically by buying and "saving" a fish, you pay for them to stock 2 more :p..

Personally I think you could fit 2-3 normal sized cories semi-comfortably in a 5 gallon, so dwarf cories should be fine.

From what I remember (assuming I'm thinking about the right fish) rainbows get around 3" and have the same personality of hatchetfish/killifish, I'm not sure if they would be the best choice for a 5 gallon.
not the small version of rainbows like i posted.

Back
Top Bottom