Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

fish tank location - kitchen vs speaker

hi all,

i have limited options to place my 10 gallon tank w/ 1 goldfish in it. the tank is a temporary home until i move then he'll go into a 40G. but for now i have two real options for placing the 10g.

kitchen nook right next to kitchen and next to sink. i am worried that the traffic might stress/scare it too much. the other option is in the living room near (w/in 2-4 ft) of HT speakers. the speakers are smallish and are only used for watching movies.

so i am not sure if noise from a HT bothers fish more less than kitchen activities/traffic. which would be preferred of the two? i really don't see many other options for me until i move.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
I don't know what others might suggest, but I'd try the kitchen area first. As long as you put some things in the tank where your goldfish can hide if he wants to then that I think would be the better option. Maybe some plants or a few rocks can be set up in a way to give it a "safe place".

Some fish (my Betta included) loooove it when people are around and come out to greet passers by. It really depends on your fish's personality.

I'm just thinking about the potential for unpleasant sound vibrations from the speakers. I guess it depends on how loud you want to play your TV/Movies.

If one doesn't work, you can always move it. Start with one location, and keep an eye on the goldfish. If he seems really unhappy, move him to the other location and see if it makes a difference.

marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

that was my concern to about noise vibrations. but enough plant/hiding places might be a better solution.

what about the cooking aspect of it? smells, heat, etc.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
How close is the stove/oven? Id try to keep it at least 4-5 feet away so the tank isn't subjected to any radiant heat. Smells shoudn't be a problem. Unless your goldie likes human food. He might get hungry
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Goldies are generally not shy & likes to have human traffic & interaction, so I think Kitchen is the better of the 2. Hiding place is a good idea, but most goldies won't need it.

and next to the sink makes pwc a cinch.

You might want to have a canopy for the tank, so things don't drop into the water.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I vote for the kitchen too. I keep my tanks away from the speakers for the TV, because when they were by it and it was on, they FREAKED out.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm with putting it in the kitchen too. I think the vibrations from the speaker will stress it, and you wouldn't want water to accidentally get spilled on your speaker. The fish should learn to like, or may already, the activity around it.

Since it is the kitchen where I imagine you use cleaners at, you may want to make sure the tank is covered.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the tank would be around 5 ft from the stove. but the sink would be right behind it...so the goldie will get a front row view.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com