Fish Tank Looking Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish tank has taken a sudden odd color, it's got an orange hue. It's odd can anyone enlighten me?

no not that I can see and my fish tank isn't in direct sun light. Although it may have partially been these last two days.

Have you added new substrate or driftwood? Some substrates can discolor the water if they haven't been rinsed enough and driftwood releases tannins that give water a yellowish hue. You can remove alot of the tannins by boiling driftwood a few times in clean water.

Yeah I added some driftwood. Thats what I figured was the problem. Can I eliminate the color with some pwc? And its not harmful at all is it?

Tannins are not harmful at all.... In fact, many say that they are healthy for fish. Simulates their environment better... It's just that you might not want your tank looking like iced tea.

If you didn't boil the driftwood already, take it our and do it now.

Reason 1: It sterilises the wood and prevents any nasties from entering the tank
Reason 2: It helps get the tannins out.

Water changes will remove the existing tannins.

If you don't remove the tannins now, your tank will look like tea for a while, possibly months. But again, its not dangerous at all. I boiled my driftwood for 2 hours and I still get a few tannins leeching into the water column.

I wouldnt mess with it unless you really can't stand the color. It won't last long with regular PWC's, so enjoy having free blackwater extract while it lasts. Thats what I would do. Think of it as a temporary paint job for your tank's water and just enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom