fish tank timers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't fade flourescent lights in and out. They are either on or off.

If you upgrade your lighting to a really expensive kit, then you can have them dim, but I've heard those are pretty expensive to do. They weren't flourresent lights, I don't remember what they were.

those setups usually turn on some of the bulbs first and then all of them...not actually dimming the lights at all.. if you have multiple lights you can put them on separate timers to get that effect.. :mrgreen:

do fish tank timers really get brighter and fade? for day and night??
what the....?
I thought timers where exactly that.. on or off
u could wire in a house dimmer switch, but i wouldn't recommend it..

A dimmer switch will not work with flouresents.

Timers are great, but the will only turn the lights on or off, not in between. The only way to do it is with a hood like greenmagi described.

krap101 said:
no... i know i read it in a book or site somewhere

Sure you can do it with incandesent lights, but they do not have the output of floresents.

I knew there was a way to do it. But it's just not common. My lfs had a setup that they had on dimmers that simulated the day cycle.

My LFS has a setup like that on their display tanks with those Current USA Satellite CF light strips, the ones that have 2 CF bulbs plus moonlights. I think they have them set on timers where both bulbs are on for full daylight, then one bulb to simulate dusk, then just the moonlights. It would be pretty expensive to do, but it looks really cool. :D

Back
Top Bottom