Fish that eat snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dane

Aquarium Advice Regular
There are way too many snails in my 72 bow front. I thought it would be smart to put a few pest and cone snails in my tank to breed so I have some snacks for my puffers, that way I didn't need to go to pet smart and ask for their snails. Well that plan backfired on me , as I should have known. No they are everywhere and I have pest snails the size of nickels and cone snails about an inch and a half long. I bet they will drive my ammonia up if they haven't already, I'm testing the water tomorrow. I have taken all the fake decor out and have them soaking in a bucket with a little bleach, and my driftwood I rinsed in hot water for about 15 minutes. I cleaned out my filter media but I know I can't get them all. So back to the question, does anyone know of a fish that is pure fresh water that will actively hunt out and eat snails. I want them eradicated.

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 on assassin snails. I wanted some just because & they made quick work of any other snail that was in there. They also move in & out of the sand.

I am a huge advocate of assassin snails. I have a 60 gal and got 4, but if my case was as bad as yours, I would have purchased 3 more. These guys are very quick, and will wipe your tank clean in less than a week.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I were to get a school of yoyo loaches an assassin snails would the yoyos eat the assassin snails?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes the loaches will eat the assasin snails. Do you still have the puffer cause the puffer will eat the assasin snails as well and will most likely harass and even kill the loaches.

I had the same issue and it turns out the trumpet snails shells are to hard for puffers teeth unless they are adults. The loaches slurp the snail out of the shell. Snail traps cost like 10 bucks and will help get a bunch of them out of the tank but wont get them all. I havent had puffers in 2 years and I still find the ocasional snail. I actually bought a new tank since then and they transfered over with my canister filter.

If you don't have the puffer anymore get the loaches they do the best.

My lfs just started caring snail traps and they are amazing, you can catch 100+ snails in 1 night. And they aren't that ugly

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can also blanch a piece of lettuce before you go to bed and put it in the tank. The snails with gather on the leaf. In the morning, just scoop it out.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My puffer fish are in a 36g bow front brackish tank separate to the 72g bow front freshwater. I think I'm gonna try the yoyo loaches just to maintain the snail population

I'll also try the lettuce idea. Thanks guys

My puffer fish are in a 36g bow front brackish tank separate to the 72g bow front freshwater. I think I'm gonna try the yoyo loaches just to maintain the snail population

I think you will be pleased not only will they rid the snails they are fun fish to have.

+1 on the assasian snails I had the same problem in my community tank thanks to lfs plants. They get the job done

I would do the snails but the yoyos look too cool haha plus my wife HATES snails she nearly killed me when I dropped some pest snails on the floor

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The population explosion is indicative of a larger problem tbh. There are only population exosions of snails if you're overfeeding the tank.

Back
Top Bottom