Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish that eats Green Algae

Is there any that eats green algae cause my otos are avoiding it.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Otos are notorious for munching brown algae only. If your tank is large enough, a bristlenose pleco would be a good way to go. You can also look for siamese algae eaters to combat your problem.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i bought somethin called a chinese algae eater for my tank and it was awsome. my whole back wall was covered in it (long story, but it had to do with who was watching the tank while i was on vacation...) I prolly shouldnt have bought it as it was from petsmart, but in about 2 days or so it was completely clean....and then the fish died lol. I recomend getting one if you can find it (that might not even be what they are called, knowing petsmart...)
just get it somewhere you trust.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
CAE's do a good job when they are young, but when they get older, they feed on everything else but the algae. They are also notorious for being very aggressive, and will try to clean the slime coat off other fish and chase them to death. Plus they get real big.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SAE's are the way to go.......IMHO...........they should have a sticky all tothemselves on this board
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

yep, CAE's grow into rather large, fiesty fish. They also enjoy sucking the slime coat off fish, often killing the fish in the process, rather than eat algae as adults.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh really? I have heard the opposite, I heard that the SAE is very aggressive and grows pretty big and doesn't do such a great job, and the CAE is much less passive, smaller and does a better job. Are there any good links or threads out there?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could try a Farlowella Acus, they are probably the best algae eater there is, they don't grow large, very passive, and are cool to look at. Downside is they are hard to acclimate and are notoriuous at dying for no apparent reason.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile57.html

Definately not a beginner fish.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like 95% sure that they don't sell them where I am. Looks like an interesting fish but they don't have them where I live.

Sorry, I sort of got my facts mixed up about the CAE and the SAE, my problem with the SAE is the tank with the green algae problem is a 20 gallon and I don't think that he will be well suited for that tank since I heard that they get to be about 6 inches.

I wish my green algae problem was a brown algae problem (which I have never gotten since I had fish, even when I try to have it, lol) then my otos will be able to eat it.

I'll probaly add a bunch of ghost shrimp to help the problem.

Tags
algae, eat, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com