Fish that eats Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otos are notorious for munching brown algae only. If your tank is large enough, a bristlenose pleco would be a good way to go. You can also look for siamese algae eaters to combat your problem.

i bought somethin called a chinese algae eater for my tank and it was awsome. my whole back wall was covered in it (long story, but it had to do with who was watching the tank while i was on vacation...) I prolly shouldnt have bought it as it was from petsmart, but in about 2 days or so it was completely clean....and then the fish died lol. I recomend getting one if you can find it (that might not even be what they are called, knowing petsmart...)
just get it somewhere you trust.

CAE's do a good job when they are young, but when they get older, they feed on everything else but the algae. They are also notorious for being very aggressive, and will try to clean the slime coat off other fish and chase them to death. Plus they get real big.

SAE's are the way to go.......IMHO...........they should have a sticky all tothemselves on this board :D

yep, CAE's grow into rather large, fiesty fish. They also enjoy sucking the slime coat off fish, often killing the fish in the process, rather than eat algae as adults.

Oh really? I have heard the opposite, I heard that the SAE is very aggressive and grows pretty big and doesn't do such a great job, and the CAE is much less passive, smaller and does a better job. Are there any good links or threads out there?

I like 95% sure that they don't sell them where I am. Looks like an interesting fish but they don't have them where I live.

Sorry, I sort of got my facts mixed up about the CAE and the SAE, my problem with the SAE is the tank with the green algae problem is a 20 gallon and I don't think that he will be well suited for that tank since I heard that they get to be about 6 inches.

I wish my green algae problem was a brown algae problem (which I have never gotten since I had fish, even when I try to have it, lol) then my otos will be able to eat it.

I'll probaly add a bunch of ghost shrimp to help the problem.

Back
Top Bottom