Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish that go with tetras

Hey I have a 36 gallon tank with a fluval 204 and a aqueon quietflow 30 filter. I currently have 9 neon tetras, 2 black neon tetras, 1 glolight tetra, 1 Cardinal tetra, and 1 rubber lip pleco. I was looking at some other fish to add that are a bit bigger. I was looking at the black skirt tetras and the goramis can someone tell me if these fish will do good together and some other options of fish that go well with these. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Only 1 gourami and I would choose dwarf. They can be prettier anyways. And I have honestly not had good experiences with black or white skirt tetras. :/ they just get nippy with everybody and harass. At least all the ones I had did.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry
Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It seemed every fish I wanted (Angels black skirt tetras) would nip or eat other fish according to others.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gourami are fine as long as they are the only one of their species in the tank. In my 36g I have 2 dwarf gourami and it's sorta pushin it. They get mad at each other sometimes.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on the personality. I have white skirt tetras in a community tank which includes guppies with long fins. I have black skirts in a community tank that includes a marbled angelfish. None of my tetra have ever nipped.

I would up your Cardinal tetras. 5+

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought all tetras did better in schools of at least 3-4, which is why im confused by the solos. Would they be less nippy if schooling? As in they'd feel more safe and less likely to be aggressive? Or is that just neons that dont do well solo?

Either way im a big fan of coreys. They are very docile, they DO survive better in groups of 3-4, so in a 36 gal as stocked as yours id get the dwarf size ones. Very docile fish.

This post brought to you by.. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deminox View Post
I thought all tetras did better in schools of at least 3-4, which is why im confused by the solos. Would they be less nippy if schooling? As in they'd feel more safe and less likely to be aggressive? Or is that just neons that dont do well solo?

Either way im a big fan of coreys. They are very docile, they DO survive better in groups of 3-4, so in a 36 gal as stocked as yours id get the dwarf size ones. Very docile fish.

This post brought to you by.. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

All tetras are better the bigger the group gets. Also less likely to nip. Solos usually don't do as well.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tetras are best in groups of 6 or more, as they are schooling fish. I have Neon Tetras, and they are the most laid back fish I've ever had. They just kind of hang out in a group and occasionally mosey. I've never witnessed a nip; not even to each other.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would probably go with 2 opal one or golden gouramis

Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

*opaline

Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmin1502 View Post
I would probably go with 2 opal one or golden gouramis

1 gourami per tank or you take the chance of aggression. Gourami are territorial and aggressive to other gourami. They don't fight in LFS usually because there is no tank space to claim territory.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tags
fish, tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com