Fish that school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's a good fairly large schooling fish that I could put in a 55 gallon tank? I looked at tetras but they are super tiny even when grown. I would like to have other fish than just the school.

Ya, depending on what species they grow to 8".

10-15 would be good size school.

What about Congo Tetras? They look really good in a school.

Ya, depending on what species they grow to 8".

10-15 would be good size school.

What about Congo Tetras? They look really good in a school.

Those do look good. If I get a schooling fish that likes current (like rainbows.. not sure if they school though lol) would I just need a powerhead to move the water or is there a more elegant way to create a current?

GoneFishing said:
Those do look good. If I get a schooling fish that likes current (like rainbows.. not sure if they school though lol) would I just need a powerhead to move the water or is there a more elegant way to create a current?

Rainbows don't really school with eachother, and they get to big anyways.

To my knowledge, that's the only way to create a current, is to have a powerhead, but two would work better. Have one at one end and the other at the opposite end.

Rainbows don't really school with eachother, and they get to big anyways.

To my knowledge, that's the only way to create a current, is to have a powerhead, but two would work better. Have one at one end and the other at the opposite end.

I'll def be looking into getting a school for the tank. oh and breeding shrimp will help with the new tank as well. Sad that no lfs has them currently and want to charge me $3 more just to special order them.

GoneFishing said:
I'll def be looking into getting a school for the tank. oh and breeding shrimp will help with the new tank as well. Sad that no lfs has them currently and want to charge me $3 more just to special order them.

They don't have any shrimp in Az? That's terrible.

Well they do, they have ghost shrimp at petsmart and amano at desert pet, but I wanna breed them and don't wanna mess with a brackish setup for the amanos

I pretty much go to PETSMART for ghost shrimp, which I don't need anymore cause they are breeding in my tank now. Desert pet is pretty much a weekly visit, I like their selection of fish and there is one employee that is incredibly knowledgeable with fs fish. I haven't had any bad buys from desert pet, but they don't have a return policy like petsmart.

I'd go with rainbows. Silver dollars honestly get a little big for a 55g, considering that they get 6-7 inches or so and need a school.

There's several rainbowfish species to choose from, liveaquaria has a good set of pictures, even though I'd probably find a cheaper source for them.
Rainbowfish

jetajockey said:
I'd go with rainbows. Silver dollars honestly get a little big for a 55g, considering that they get 6-7 inches or so and need a school.

There's several rainbowfish species to choose from, liveaquaria has a good set of pictures, even though I'd probably find a cheaper source for them.
Rainbowfish

Yea I usually use that site to find what I like then search for different avenues. I may have the option of getting a 75 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom