Fish that should NOT be sold... or at least should come with a legal disclaimer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read an article on the Practical Fishkeeping site about an aquarium that now has an exhibit that is filled with all the freshwater fish they took in from people who bought them only to have them outgrow their tank. Its aimed at educating the public on how big these get. Some of the fish in it have been mentioned on this thread.

Here is the article:
Blue Planet makes point about giant fish | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

I just read an article on the Practical Fishkeeping site about an aquarium that now has an exhibit that is filled with all the freshwater fish they took in from people who bought them only to have them outgrow their tank. Its aimed at educating the public on how big these get. Some of the fish in it have been mentioned on this thread.

Here is the article:

Great link Dizz. I like that they're doing this and love this comment that was left. "I feel the issue of "how big does it get" is being missed at the shop end...".

Im not sure if it was mentioned yet or not, but you should probably add the channel catfish to this list. A petshop near my house was selling a bunch of them. Unfortunately few realize how big these guys get. I just caught a 2-footer fishing tuesday night, and I have caught bigger too. I do feel that stores need to specify how massive the aforementioned species get. I think I search craigslist every day and see a 55 gallon aquarium with a dozen pacu in it.

Here is the article:

This is exactly what i want to do. The issue is i have is money. That and i would have to come up with a heck of a filter. I would love to do it though.

Does anyone know how albino red finned sharks would do in a planted community tank? Because i would like to save these poor fish from a really bad fish owner that is taking care of them badly. It is from my earlier post.

Im not sure if it was mentioned yet or not, but you should probably add the channel catfish to this list. A petshop near my house was selling a bunch of them. Unfortunately few realize how big these guys get. I just caught a 2-footer fishing tuesday night, and I have caught bigger too. I do feel that stores need to specify how massive the aforementioned species get. I think I search craigslist every day and see a 55 gallon aquarium with a dozen pacu in it.
I have 20+ channel cats over 2 feet.....in my acre pond.:mrgreen: I do agree that they should be on the list.

Perhaps we should add sturgeon, gar, and peacock bass. This has always been a bone of contention for me, the selling of fish that if properly cared for, will quickly outgrow their tanks, and have to be gotten rid of.

*Growls* The chinese food restaurant up the street from me has a 2 foot arowana in a 55 gallon. It disgusted me so much when I saw it I told my boyfriend we were not eating there and we left. Haven't been back since.

We went back to said restaurant last night to see if they've followed up on the complaints as there have been articles in our local town paper about it. They have added, in the sam tank with the Arowana, 5 blood parrot cichlids about the size of my hand and 2 7(ish) inch common plecos. *GROWLS*

We went back to said restaurant last night to see if they've followed up on the complaints as there have been articles in our local town paper about it. They have added, in the sam tank with the Arowana, 5 blood parrot cichlids about the size of my hand and 2 7(ish) inch common plecos. *GROWLS*

Thats is so stupid. you should sneek in at the middle of the night and take them for yourself.

You should go in there in the middle of the night and take all the fish out and put like 20 plastic goldfish in the tank. I would laugh my head off if i walked into a chinese restraunt with a fish tank full of plastic goldfish. :)

oscars. i agree about the clown loach! i wanted to get another weather loach but there wasnt another one, so i succumbed to impulse buying( forgive me) iand i realized that they need a big tank and to school...but he follows around my very tolerant rainbow shark so its not so bad....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom