Fish that swim mid to upper tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I used to have zebra danio's along with sissortail tetras. They all seemd to like swimming mid to upper tank. I moved the zebras, and now the sissortails don't seem as active as they were before. I'm wondering if any of you may know of types of fish that enjoy swimming mid to upper tank? Thanks for reading. Btw, I have a 29 gallon tank.

Hatchet fish like to stay at the top. I have six of them and they are a crack up! They very rarely come down from the surface of the water though, so if you are looking for more mid water fish, these are not for you. I do love mine though. They like to be in groups, I ordered eight, and only 2 died. They are great jumpers so keep your lid on tight.
A great mid water fish is Harlequin rasboras. They are great, active fish.

A pic for you of my Hatchets

barring any small fish in the tank, the golden wonder killie stays on the surface about 95% of the time. Not an aggressive fish, but if anything small comes to the surface and will fit in it's mouth, it will eat it.

i used to have guppies and they'd stay at the top all the time waiting to be fed again. if they werent at the surface they'd be chasing flakes that sank down or sleeping on the bottom after lights out.

How about some rainbows. Some of the smaller species like boesemani or celebes may do ok. Or even smaller like the threadfin or blue eyes are very cool.

My vote would be for Pearl Dainos. They are nice to look at, stay around the top, and love to move and chace each other.

I just got some X-Ray tetras for my tank, and they seem to prefer the upper half of the tank so far. You should see them when feeding time! what a frenzy! :lol:

I have 14 Rasbora's in my 70 and they actively school and stay in the upper 25% of the tank probably 75% of the time. Consider them.

Take a 75gal planted tank. Add a school of serpae tetras (6 or more) and watch the fun! These guys are all over the place and for the most part, stay in schools while doing it. :D

Back
Top Bottom