Fish to keep with Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivercats

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got rid of the Grandkids Goldfish (they now reside at their houses) and have a 55g tank open. I already have it scaped and ready to go. It's planted but not like the 100% planted 220g. I actually want to have open substrate and less density in plants so I can see and enjoy the fish and shrimp. This tank is going to be a little different as I am doing only a few small and nano fish. My stock is 20 Spotted Blue Eye's and 8 Aspidoras albater. I am probably going with Blue Velvet shrimp but that's not set in stone. My real problem is...

What other small fish will work well with the above stock and not eat or terrorize the shrimp? I'm thinking 3 Golden Honey Gourami but there is mixed opinions on their compatibility with shrimp. I've kept them with larger amano and ghost shrimp but not sure how they would do with smaller shrimp. I don't want another school if at all possible but if I have to go that route they will be another type of nano's like Ember Tetra's. I thought glass cats but again am not sure if they will work with the shrimp. No large fish like angels and no gourami or dwarf gourami. Although considered a group of Sparkling Gourami. Thoughts? For once I'm stumped.

I finally got rid of the Grandkids Goldfish (they now reside at their houses) and have a 55g tank open. I already have it scaped and ready to go. It's planted but not like the 100% planted 220g. I actually want to have open substrate and less density in plants so I can see and enjoy the fish and shrimp. This tank is going to be a little different as I am doing only a few small and nano fish. My stock is 20 Spotted Blue Eye's and 8 Aspidoras albater. I am probably going with Blue Velvet shrimp but that's not set in stone. My real problem is...

What other small fish will work well with the above stock and not eat or terrorize the shrimp? I'm thinking 3 Golden Honey Gourami but there is mixed opinions on their compatibility with shrimp. I've kept them with larger amano and ghost shrimp but not sure how they would do with smaller shrimp. I don't want another school if at all possible but if I have to go that route they will be another type of nano's like Ember Tetra's. I thought glass cats but again am not sure if they will work with the shrimp. No large fish like angels and no gourami or dwarf gourami. Although considered a group of Sparkling Gourami. Thoughts? For once I'm stumped.

Ok I am not sure what that second fish is you listed but as a die hard nano guy I would love a pic :)
I would say go with your sparklers and then add some scarlet badis! Scarlets are gorgeous! Although if you are patiant and willing to keep the temp in the lower 70s there are some other dario species that are slightly larger that dario dario (scarlet badis) that are just as cool! Also moth catfish. Wont be seen much but they are really really cool! I will warn you that the shrimplets will probably be eaten by the badis and possibly the catfish and the fish you have now but some could survive if some dense plants are available to hide in.

Blue velvety are so pretty I'm going to be getting mine on Wednesday...now about the fish I don't have very much knowledge with nano fish I'm sorry

For topwater action, harliuqun Rasboras or some hatchetfish species are great. Both shouldn't bother your shrimp.

Ok I am not sure what that second fish is you listed but as a die hard nano guy I would love a pic :)
I would say go with your sparklers and then add some scarlet badis! Scarlets are gorgeous! Although if you are patiant and willing to keep the temp in the lower 70s there are some other dario species that are slightly larger that dario dario (scarlet badis) that are just as cool! Also moth catfish. Wont be seen much but they are really really cool! I will warn you that the shrimplets will probably be eaten by the badis and possibly the catfish and the fish you have now but some could survive if some dense plants are available to hide in.

The Aspidoras albater are very closely related to cory cats. They arrive Thursday. Here's a link.... Aspidoras albator / Aspidoras albater / Aspidoras / Home - Corydoras. They are adorably cute but often hard to find. They are actually shrimp safe. I considered Scarlet badis. The Albater's like lower 70's and so do the Spotted Blue Eye's which I've kept before. I just want a big tank but with smaller fish for a change. After being in the hobby since the 70's you get tired of the same fish year after year. Haven't done any nano fish in ages. I am also considering a few Stiphodon atropurpureus aka Blue neon goby's.

Sparklers or badis would both eat your shrimplets and both probably leave your adults alone. I would do badis over sparklers in a tank that size, because of the badis striking colors they would be more readily visible.
This is not a fish, but bright red bamboo shrimp can be a fun centerpiece too IMO. They are large enough to be seen, even in a bigger tank like you have. And they would probably do quite well with your stock since you don't have anything that would harass them.

Sparklers or badis would both eat your shrimplets and both probably leave your adults alone. I would do badis over sparklers in a tank that size, because of the badis striking colors they would be more readily visible.
This is not a fish, but bright red bamboo shrimp can be a fun centerpiece too IMO. They are large enough to be seen, even in a bigger tank like you have. And they would probably do quite well with your stock since you don't have anything that would harass them.

Thanks, I was going to get a couple bamboo shrimp and will have to look into those. I'm not at all against larger shrimp as long as they are safe for the smaller fish. I'm trying to get idea's where to go with this tank now. I don't want it overly busy so want to be sure of what I get before adding it to the tank and not liking it.

What about licorice gouramis and/or Killies?

I kept licorice gouramis before and they are the most picky fish about wanting soft water and ultra pristine water at least when I kept them.

I have a few Rachovii killies in the 220 but man those little males are wicked which is why they are in the 220 with so many thick plants. Any killies that are small unlike the Golden Wonders that might work? There was a thread on here recently about killies and there were some real show stoppers.

You could maybe try American flag fish

We used to keep them in the smaller pond for algae and some mosquito control as they did love the larvae. I can tell you that while some brave them in community tanks the males especially are quite aggressive.

The American flag fish is a type of killie fish

For topwater action, harliuqun Rasboras or some hatchetfish species are great. Both shouldn't bother your shrimp.

I have 20 Spotted Blue Eye's which mainly use the upper levels and are quite active/rowdy little fish for being as small as they are. And I have Harlequin's in the 220g. Keep thinking as something is going to ring.

Here's some tank info...

*A good sized in proportion to the tank size DW and rock structure with Bolbitus, Java Fern and Java Fern Wendilov, Anubia Nana and Anubia Nana Petite, and some Java Fern. Also in the tank is a small DW with a start of Fissidens Fontanus, Crypts Wendilov Florida Sunset and Crypt Ciliate, Mini Alternanthera reineckii, Limnophila hippuroides, Ambulia, Ludwigia Seneglesis and Glandulosa, and Rotala Macrandra.

*CO2
*temp 76F
*Fluval 406

*And I just found my 2" Rio Negro pleco female in there who I thought was gone.

Almost any nano fish will eat a shrimplet if they come across one, even though they may not actively hunt them. I would be very cautious with the honey gouramis, as I know dwarf gouramis which are of similar size love to eat shrimp, both juvies and adults. I like the idea of badis, and I think that ember tetras would look good if you chose to add them as well. Like I said, they'll all likely eat a shrimplet if they come upon one - but, with just nano fish I think enough will stay out of sight well enough for you to keep a good colony going.

Almost any nano fish will eat a shrimplet if they come across one, even though they may not actively hunt them. I would be very cautious with the honey gouramis, as I know dwarf gouramis which are of similar size love to eat shrimp, both juvies and adults. I like the idea of badis, and I think that ember tetras would look good if you chose to add them as well. Like I said, they'll all likely eat a shrimplet if they come upon one - but, with just nano fish I think enough will stay out of sight well enough for you to keep a good colony going.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, I'd like the best of both worlds... don't want much do it... lol! I like the idea of the Badis with the Spotted BE but am wondering if the tank will look too bare. The Spotted BE are active and zip around all over the place, especially the males so the mid level is what I think might need some activity. Never kept Badis so do you know what area of the tank they prefer? I know some people on the forum keep them.

Those cory relatives are pretty! I would do both the sparklers and the badis. Would make an effective display. Are the blue eyes you have realated to furcato forktail rainbows?

Those cory relatives are pretty! I would do both the sparklers and the badis. Would make an effective display. Are the blue eyes you have realated to furcato forktail rainbows?

They are in the same family and would have gone with the forktails as my second choice. Here's a link... Spotted Blue-eye - Medium Tropical Freshwater Fish for Sale.

Does anyone know if Ember tetras will school in a tank that has no larger fish to make them feel the need to school? Or will they be all over like the crazy Spotted BE's.

They are in the same family and would have gone with the forktails as my second choice. Here's a link... Spotted Blue-eye - Medium Tropical Freshwater Fish for Sale.

Does anyone know if Ember tetras will school in a tank that has no larger fish to make them feel the need to school? Or will they be all over like the crazy Spotted BE's.

My embers stayed together loosely I would say. Are the rainbows nippy? I want some fortails but do not want the nippyness commonly associsted with rainbows.

The spotted blue eyes aren't nippy but they do need a proper male::female ratio otherwise the males will harass the females to death. Definitely one of my favorite nano fish!

Back
Top Bottom