Fish transfer to a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im guessing the best and less stressful way to do it is to just do it?

You mean acclimating a fish to a new tank? Float the bag in the new tank. After 10 minutes or so, scoop out a cup of the water from the bag (dont pour it into your tank) then pour a cup of the tanks water into the bag. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times and then net the fish into the tank.

If it's from one tank to another, put him in with only a couple other fish into a 5gal bucket or other kind of bucket, like a water change bucket, and take some extra air hoses. Tie three knots loosely in the line, and with the bucket on the floor underneath the tank, siphon a little until water is running into the bucket. Tighten the knots until it's just dripping, leave it for an hour, without AC blasting on it or whatnot. This is only if you really care about your fish, or you paid a lot of money.

Otherwise, put them in a bucket or container, add tank water every 10 or so minutes for half an hour with a measuring cup or something. Three times, a lot easier. It just prevents them from getting any kind of shock from a sudden variation of levels.

Thanks. Yeah I'm actually rehoming my oscars from a 55 g to a 125 that's just about cycled. So I should definitely take time to acclimate them? Instead of just scooping them out with a net and right into the other tank

If your readings and temp are identical in both tanks, you can just net and transfer immediately. If there is a change in readings, especially pH, you need to acclimate as you would new fish.

Right on thanks. Seems like common knowledge after hearing it :) I appreciate your help

Back
Top Bottom