fish with turtles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On YouTube, some fish are able to live with turtles, is that true, I have two turtles in less than half a gallon so they have NO swimming space since their tanks are EXPENSIVE

They do eat fish so you have to be careful if you don't want them to be eaten. Some people on you tube put fish that are food with them and just keep putting feeder fish in. I have a stinkpot musk turtle and I was told not to do it but I did it anyways.

Did eat the fish or did it die, I have TWO RED EARED SLIDERS in a HALF GALLON tank!!!!!

I keep African cichlids with him and that's the only reason I did it. With the aggression of the cichlids I didn't think the turtle would pick one off. I was right it hasn't even truer a matter a fact he acts scared to death of them.

I don't know much about sliders but I do know they need a big tank

The Two unlucky turtles

Attachments

• image-193075603.jpg
    image-193075603.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 93
You really need to get them a bigger tank, basking spot, uvb lights, filter and a heater. They are not fully aquatic turtles and they need a way out to breath and rest. If you can't afford all this stuff your best thing to do for them is find an lfs that can take care of them. I'm not meaning to be rude if it came out that way just trying to help with a lot of info :)

Last edited:
The Two unlucky turtles

Yes very unlucky as they need lots of care more than what you r providing at the moment.
RES needfilters and heaters, and basking spots, and proper heat lights/uvb/uva, proper diet as well.

I have a female RES myself and i keep guppies with her but only a few as they do and will eat fish especially when young hatch lings. too much protien in their diet can be a bad thing. Keep in mind htey will grow and need lots of space, and can live up to 35+ years.
here are a few websites you may want to look into, on how to properly care for them.
Redearslider.com :: View forum - Habitat - Indoor
HappyTurtlesPub.org - RES Facts

I know but I don't have the money and time for all the work, I bought these two turtles in one of those containers that Bettas are used in, so I saved them and provided them the best i could, anyone selling a turtle tank with EVERYTHING needed to start, I will snap it, already checked amazon, eBay, Craigslist, and even Petsmart!!!

You really need to get them a bigger tank, basking spot, uvb lights, filter and a heater. They are not fully aquatic turtles and they need a way out to breath and rest. If you can't afford all this stuff your best thing to do for them is find a creek or an lfs that can take care of them. I'm not meaning to be rude if it came out that way just trying to help with a lot of info :)

I agree except if they are/were captive bred They should not be released into the wild.

I know but I don't have the money and time for all the work, I bought these two turtles in one of those containers that Bettas are used in, so I saved them and provided them the best i could, anyone selling a turtle tank with EVERYTHING needed to start, I will snap it, already checked amazon, eBay, Craigslist, and even Petsmart!!!

then you really didn't save them because they will have health problems and probably die if they do not get the care they need.

get a large plastic tote to keep them in they need lots of space, this is a cheap tank alternative, the lights and heater are a must as well as filtration or daily water changes until you can afford one. check out the web sites i suggested, provide the bare minimums, until you find them a better home.

Do you have a large sterlite container? Cause you could use that and then go outside and find some nice rocks to put in for them to get up on. Then all you need for now is the lights and filter

Guppylove85 said:
then you really didn't save them because they will have health problems and probably die if they do not get the care they need.

get a large plastic tote to keep them in they need lots of space, this is a cheap tank alternative, the lights and heater are a must as well as filtration or daily water changes until you can afford one. check out the web sites i suggested, provide the bare minimums, until you find them a better home.

Lol beat me to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom