Fishes that benefit from a longer tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a new long tank. The measurements say it should hold 30 gal of water. It is 3 feet long. I have a planted 29 right now and this new tank seem to be 6 inches longer than that one. Is there any specific type of fish that would benefit from a long tank?

That's an interesting question :D . Better put, can you think of any that wouldn't? Good luck with the new tank. You're becoming a candidate MTS of the month awards. LOL.

I think any fish would appreciate having more room to swim without having to turn around. Schooling fish and cichlids would especially do better in a longer tank.

Oooh. That's my "dream" tank - a 36in 30g. A 40 gallon breeder would be cool too. I know that seems kinda silly but it's as large as I'd risk without weight being an issue. Plus I think a lot of fish would enjoy the length over the height. More room for bottom dwellers to roam too. My only concern is that it would be hard to move. I seem to move every couple of years.

I found this tank very heavy to carry. My Dh has left for work for a few months so I had to lug the tank in by myself. I am dreading carrying it out to the patio tomorrow. I think I am going to put it in my dining room when all is said and done. So many possibilities. I just can't wait.

I just got a 30 gal tank myself and I'm almost done building the stand for it. I went for the 30 because it is longer than a 29.

Better put, can you think of any that wouldn't?
That's the truth there. A few months ago I was thinking about getting a 75 gal for my africans. I read a post later on about a different type of fish and what type of tank to put it in because it needs more room to swim straight without having to make turns all the time yada, yada, yada. Long story short; I'm going to forego the 75 and the 90 and make my next large tank something that is at least 6' long.

smilla4 said:
A 40 gallon breeder would be cool too.

I agree 100% about the 40G breeder. My Uromastyx is in that bad boy now and it looks like it would be an awesome aquarium; it's about 36"L x 18" deep.

If I had to choose, I would prefer the 40G over a regular 55 gallon tank. The 55's are tall and skinny while this is short and fat. :D

Giant Danios love...LOVE the extra swimming length. :) What fun and energetic fish. Just make sure you got a top on that thing....they'll jump!

the best long tank is a 75g long... I own a reg 75 and a 75g long.. the longs measurements are 5' long, 16" tall and 18" deep

Dave

Back
Top Bottom