Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fishless Cycle Concerns

So I have had a beta fish (My gateway fish) Moved him to a 5 gallon tank which is in the process of cycling. But now I have a 25 gallon home for him to live in and intend to do a fish less cycle with. My question isn't about the cycling process that I understand completely. My question is after the cycle is complete and put one beta fish in and some Armano shrimp will that be enough ammonia load the keep the bacteria colony going and not say crash ? Should I research more suitable tank mates for betas. More Shrimp maybe ? I also intend to plant the tank. So yet another consumer of ammonia will be present.
Best Regards,
Kevin

Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that will be fine, a good portion of bacteria will probably die off if its just a betta and some shrimp, however enough will stay alive to deal with the bio-load of the betta and shrimp. so in short it will balance out fine. also adding plants will not effect anything has plants prefer to take in nitrates instead of ammonia.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymp327 View Post
that will be fine, a good portion of bacteria will probably die off if its just a betta and some shrimp, however enough will stay alive to deal with the bio-load of the betta and shrimp. so in short it will balance out fine. also adding plants will not effect anything has plants prefer to take in nitrates instead of ammonia.
Oh ok so basically even though I can build the colony up to process 2PPM in 8 hours once I go live it will just balance out to process what the beta and shrimp produce ?

Thanks !
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes exactly, and no problem

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com