Fishless Cycle Finished! A good read if new to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could also get the tank and hood from the lfs, and look at bigalsonline for the stand. They have both metal and wood stands, and great prices.

Lonewolfblue,

Just checked their site and they have a perfect metal stand for $28. Sounds perfect! So I couldn't take it anymore and after 30minutes at PetSmart looking at the tanks (they didn't have a 29gallon black one, only the fake wood look which is not to my taste), I decided to go with a 20gallon high tank with top for 55$ (on sale). I figure that if this hobby is something I will really get into, at some point I'll upgrade to a larger tank (they had a really sweet 55gallon octogonal thing with matching base for $249) and keep the 20gallon as a holding, breeding, or quarantine tank.

Now that I have finally selected the tank, I can make all my other purchases for supplies. Then when I recieve my order from Big Al's (i'm in PA, how long should it take for the shipment to arrive approx.?), I'll get my tap water tested and post back with the readings on what would be the most appropriate fish for the type of water.

One last question. After reading here for the past couple of days my keen "eyesight" spotted some bad conditions at PetSmart today. My wife saw 3 dead goldfish in 1 tank, and another dead one in a neighboring tank, and I saw a couple of smaller fish that appeared to have stringy hanging poop (parasite?). Originally I had hoped to ask for some gravel from one of the tanks to start my fishless cycling (if I can find the proper chemicals at work :) :) ), but now I think that would be a bad idea (both for future fish purchases as well as for the gravel). Thoughts?

justin

EDIT: One more question, Big Al's has a 1/2pound of flake food for $4.99 (from site: Big Al's 1/2 lb Flake Food has been specifically formulated to provide the necessary nourishment for all tropical fish. These flakes contain many natural ingredients for flavor enhancement which promotes the rapid acceptance of this nutritionally balanced food. Available in an economical 1/2 lb. size with easy zip-lock bag to preserve its natural flavor.)

Even though I don't know what type of fish i'll eventually get, should I get this so I don't get ripped off at the local fish place? I figure this at a normal store would be over $20? I'm trying to get all possible products on this one order I'll put in tonight. Thanks again.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm on the West Coast, and usually receive my orders in about a week.

As for the tap water, you should be able to get just about any fish. A stable ph is better than trying to change it. I use driftwood in my tank to bring the ph down a little naturally. That way it remains stable. don't use chemicals to adjust ph, they are only temporary, and ph fluctuations are hard on fish.

As for the stringy poo, I wouldn't think a parasite. When all my fish poo, it's stringy. The only time you should be concerned is if it starts looking different, like a different color as in white, etc. My tiger barbs always have stringy poo, lol.

As for the dead fish at the store, that would be a concern. And because there's more than 1 tank leads me to believe the tanks filtration are probably the same system, so if a problem occurs in 1 tank, will spread to the others. Our lfs here has a system for every 2 tanks, and each tank is divided into 3 compartments. So the same filtration system works on 6 compartments. When looking for the fish, look at all the fish in that tank, as well as nearby tanks that might be on the same system.

As for flake food, it's good for most fish. You can get it, then when you select your fish, you can get other foods to suppliment the flake food. It's good to have 2 or 3 different items to give a variety, as well as fresh vegies like zucchini, cucumber, and peas on occasion. I usually do flake food, then sometimes add some freeze-dried bloodworms or brine shrimp or plankton if the fish is big enough. I also have frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp as well. But remember, don't overfeed.....

Yep, it appears that ALL the tanks there were centrally filtered (so was another LFS, tomorrow i'm going to the last 2 in my area and then pick the best for my business), as each tank had a perforated PVC pipe feeding "fresh" water into each tank, and another tube to suck up dirty water. It's unfortunate since the water looked quite clear and the tanks looked very clean, but its the stuff you don't see that tend to kill the fish....I would assume.

I'm going to go over my list and wait until after the Eagles game is over, and then put my order in. This waiting thing is starting to test my patience... thanks again.

justin

Another thing to consider. the dead fish might have also been from stress during shipment. I'd make a couple trips to each, then chose which best suites you.

Good Point Lone. Ask when their most recent shipment was. Even the best stores have dead fish in the tank. But the good ones usually notice it right away and take them out. Could just be from the stress.

Well the order is in, slightly over $100, and 30 of that was for the stand, so I'm very pleased with the cost. Anything I can do in the meantime as I wait for all my stuff?

I have the tank and lid only? Clean with water and detergent? Water only?

justin

i got green spot off with my mag float, it took a few swipes more than normal but it got it off.

UPDATE:

Still waiting on my shipment from Big Al's, hopefully I'll get it by the end of the week.

I just spoke with a friend from work who has a well established (+2years) 100 gallon FW tank who would be willing to give me some seed material (a bag of gravel). Here's my question. If he brings it in the morning in a big bag (filled with the tank water), can it sit safely in my car until the end of the day? We are in PA so the temps have been in the high 30's most of the day and since its in a car it should be relatively stable. I would imagine this would slow the feeding and waste production of the bacteria? If I have to I could have him bring the bag in the morning and then I could go right home and dump it in the new setup with 5ppm ammonium chloride. Thanks.

And I'd rather NOT add it directly to the bottom of the tank (since I plan to use a sand substrate), so what about a plastic cup or Pyrex glass pan)something with holes to let the bacteria out into the water (obviously bacteria does free float or else it wouldn't get into the filter).

you could use some panty hose to put the gravel in and leave it in the tank until it's cycled.

That sounds like a fantastically wonderful idea. :wink: I don't think I could have thought of that. And since my wife is newly pregnant (3 1/2months), she tends to not fit in things as easy as before. :) I'm sure she has some I could borrow. Anything I have to look out for that would leech out (i.e. do they make different kinds from different material?)

And as for the sand substrate, I have 500lbs of QuikCrete (probably mispelled this) which is label as an all purpose sand from home depot. I bought 10 50lb bags for traction in our cars but would be more than happy to sacrifice a bag for the sand (they were like $3.75 each). I'm really looking for this pool filter sand people keep raving about, but don't know if this is the stuff.

justin

i don't think you have to worry ive used panty hose for a lot of things.. and you might want to mention to your wife that its not really borrowing.. becuase she may not want to wear them again.. LOL!!!

not sure about the sand.. i got pool filter sand from home depot and it said on the front "pool filter sand" It wasn't in the pool section, it was in the gravel, rock section out in the garden supplys.

Hmm, that may be a problem then. In PA most HD stores are seasonal, so they don't always carry "summer" items. Here's hoping for those with hot tubs they keep some lying around.

lol... well they employees didn't even know they had it, i found it stuck on a different isle completely out of the right 'spot' it wasnt with the sand and it wasn't with the pool stuff. It wasn't outside with the potting soil, sand, dirt, it wasn't inside with the play sand. It was stuck outside with a few bags of rocks under on the bottom shelf.. lol. But i did find it!!!

One more question (i've said that more than 1 time):

My tank top has a built in light which appears to be 17watt. Now I have a 20 gallon tank, and a 20 gallon HIGH at that (I would assume a 20long would be easier on plants). I have no plans to make this a heavily planted tank, but would like 1 or 2 small plants to deal with excess nitrAte if I happen to be gone for a day or two (or just to lessen an errant ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte spike). I've heard that java fern, annubius, and one more I can't remember right now are very good under low light conditions. How low are we talking? And how long per day should I have the light in the tank on?

Oh heck. I just found out how to donate kudos, and did, but didn't know it was taken from my pool. :) oh well, its better to have given than recieved.

LOL... Crypts also do good in low light. java fern, java moss, crypts, anubis...

Is there a way to get it afterwards? Not sure if it would survive in the 30's.

Could put it in a plastic container just under your filter input.

Back
Top Bottom