fishless cycle in progress... how much longer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm on day 9 of my fishless cycle and the ammonias been 0 since day 6 ( I add half of what it took to get 5 ppm before nitrite showed up, each day). Any ideas or predictions when the nitrites should cycle? I have a 50 gal. I just can't wait to get my cichlids :D

Thanks

What are your nitrite and nitrate readings? It usually takes at least 1-2 weeks sometimes more for the nitrite part of the cycle. Your readings will make it easier to tell though.

nitrite is at least 3 ppm, it has gone done a bit from before but I think it's off the chart, off my nitrite chart neway. I don;t have a nitrate test.

Nitrite has been up there pretty high for about 3 days. I put gravel from cycled 10 gal in the filter slots of my emp 400.

Once you see your nitrites spike, then you cut your ammonia dosage from 4-5ppm, to 1-2ppm. So when your ammonia hit's 0ppm, which will probably be every day, dose 1-2ppm. Doing a smaller dosage will only decrease the number of beneficial bacteria, as it's like having a smaller bioload. 1-2ppm will be fine til you are cycled.

my nitrites spiked for 5 days and then bottomed out all at once, you should be getting close, although i would get a nitrate test kit you'll need it eventually.

Big Ben,

Definately make sure you keep your ammonia levels over 0.5ppm (I prefer 1-2ppm like Lonewolfblue). As for the nitrIte levels, if they are off the chart one thing you can do that I did when cycling was to do a large PWC. Like a 50-75% PWC will bring all the values down to easily detectable and you can better watch what's happening in the tank (redose ammonia obviously). You will not lose much bacteria (most is bound to surfaces in the tank), and its better on the sanity! :)

Mine spiked for about 7 days and then like sith j they just disappeared overnight. They were really high so I was going to do a pwc but just before I got to it they dropped on their own. I was using shrimp so that may make a difference? In total my cycle took 20 days, but since you are dosing maybe yours will be a little faster?

Back
Top Bottom