Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Fishless cycle question!

How long, after you out the pure ammonia in the tank, does it start to decline in the ppms?? I put in about 4-5 ppm of ammonia in about a week ago and it has yet to decrease. I wasn't sure how long it usually takes!
__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
How long, after you out the pure ammonia in the tank, does it start to decline in the ppms?? I put in about 4-5 ppm of ammonia in about a week ago and it has yet to decrease. I wasn't sure how long it usually takes!
It can take anywhere from a few days to weeks. Adding some filter media from an already established tank helps speed it up. High temps 88 and lots of oxygen also helps the bb populate faster.
__________________

__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

It can take anywhere from a few days to weeks. Adding some filter media from an already established tank helps speed it up. High temps 88 and lots of oxygen also helps the bb populate faster.
Ah ok, well I don't have an established tank but I did just turn my heater up a little bit, my tank was at 82 F. Thank you!!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post

Ah ok, well I don't have an established tank but I did just turn my heater up a little bit, my tank was at 82 F. Thank you!!
You could also get some seachem stability notamy believe in these but it kept my severely overstocked ten gallon in good shape.
__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

You could also get some seachem stability notamy believe in these but it kept my severely overstocked ten gallon in good shape.
Oh ok, cool! Thanks! What does it do exactly??
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post

Oh ok, cool! Thanks! What does it do exactly??
Adds bacteria to the tank.
__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

Adds bacteria to the tank.
Oh ok, sweet! Thank you!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
aquaplantfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

Adds bacteria to the tank.
I'm waiting on my filter to arrive, I was planing on adding the substrate after I start my cycle, is that going to be a problem?

Only because I'm still looking around for substrate.

New setup
16g guppy tank
Eheim 2213 canister filter
__________________
aquaplantfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaplantfish View Post

I'm waiting on my filter to arrive, I was planing on adding the substrate after I start my cycle, is that going to be a problem?

Only because I'm still looking around for substrate.

New setup
16g guppy tank
Eheim 2213 canister filter
Shouldn't be it could slow it down a tad as here won't be as large of a surface for the bb to colonize but 80-90% of it is in your filter anyway.
__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
aquaplantfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 190
Awesome thanks!
__________________
aquaplantfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

Adds bacteria to the tank.
Ok, so the seachem stability came in, however on the bottle it doesn't say how much for a 55 or 60 gallon tank?? I was wandering if you knew how much to put in! I'm trying to bring the ammonia levels down so I can put this stability in!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
its one capful for every 10 gallons on the first day so for a 55 its 5,5 caps
for everyday after that for the first week its one cap for every 20 gallons so its 2,25 caps
After that you are done.

I only add a few caps to my 55 or 29 when I add new stock.
__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post
its one capful for every 10 gallons on the first day so for a 55 its 5,5 caps
for everyday after that for the first week its one cap for every 20 gallons so its 2,25 caps
After that you are done.

I only add a few caps to my 55 or 29 when I add new stock.
Oh ok cool thanks!!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
One last thing, can I turn my water temp back to normal or do I still need to leave it relatively high, around 84 F, for the bacteria to grow, and do I pour it into the tank itself or the filter?
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
One last thing, can I turn my water temp back to normal or do I still need to leave it relatively high, around 84 F, for the bacteria to grow, and do I pour it into the tank itself or the filter?
I'd leave the temp up. When I fishless cycled I had it at 87 and was done in three weeks. I'd dump the stability in the filter.
__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

I'd leave the temp up. When I fishless cycled I had it at 87 and was done in three weeks. I'd dump the stability in the filter.
Oh ok, so everything else I do is the same, like testing nitrites and stuff until there is <20 nitrates??? And I already put the stuff in but I dumped it into the tank, will it still be alright??
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
calfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milkyway Galaxy
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post

Oh ok, so everything else I do is the same, like testing nitrites and stuff until there is <20 nitrates??? And I already put the stuff in but I dumped it into the tank, will it still be alright??
Yeah it will be fine. It basically just slightly speeds up the cycle. You don't have to do anything differently.
__________________
What is the correct number of aquariums an enthusiast should own. X+1 X being the current number of tanks you have.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post

Yeah it will be fine. It basically just slightly speeds up the cycle. You don't have to do anything differently.
Oh ok. Sweet!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Can someone identify this for me?? I can't tell if its 4 or not but its been the same for 2 weeks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-244148758.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	171524   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3678555929.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	171526  

__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.