Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trueblue8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I started the process of fishless cycle ~3 weeks ago. Everything was going well. Ammonia waa dropping from 4ppm to 2ppm within 24 hours. I was seeing nitrites and nitrates.

2 days ago, my ph level dropped and I did a 75% water change to restore buffers. Since then, my ammonia levels haven't decreased. They are exactly the same (4ppm). I am still seeing nitrite (~1ppm) and nitrates (5ppm).

Im concerned about my ammonia not dropping. My ph is also around 6.6.

Has my cycle gone bad due to low ph levels? Should I add crushed corals?

Any help would be appreciated

I’m far from an expert but I’d say you crashed the cycle with your massive water change.

I assume you used a water conditioner if you have chlorinated water? That’ll definitely do it

I was in the same boat with my 29gal with its fish-in cycle and I saw massive ammonia spikes with a ph drop. With the advise of others I just maintained my regular 25-30% water changes weekly and within a week or 2 the tank levelled out and we were close to a full cycle

Give it more time. I do fish in cycles and it has taken me well over a month.

Sounds like you're in the middle of the cycle. If there's no fish then no problem. Ride it out.

Back
Top Bottom