Fishless cycle readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
How does this look I started my cycle on 18th feb but my api kit did not arrive until today (3rd march) just tested and got

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.6
High range pH: just lower than 7.4

Is this good?
Should I dose ammonia back up to 4?
How long do you think I have left?

Thanks

Make sure you test your tap water as well so you know what you are putting in your tank. Yes, dose your ammonia back up to 4pmm. You cycle is progressing at a nice pace for only 2wks in- your amm is dropping & you have nitrites. Have some patience & continue to test your water daily. Redose your amm if you see it drop below 2ppm. :)

jlk said:
Make sure you test your tap water as well so you know what you are putting in your tank. Yes, dose your ammonia back up to 4pmm. You cycle is progressing at a nice pace for only 2wks in- your amm is dropping & you have nitrites. Have some patience & continue to test your water daily. Redose your amm if you see it drop below 2ppm. :)

Ok will do
Thanks

Readings for today

Tap
Taken from tap upstairs but did not use this to fill it up
Ammonia 0.25
pH 7.6
Nitrite 0
Nitrate about 30 maybe more

Tank
Ph 7.6
High range 7.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 5
Nitrate about 7

They are not ideal but not a big deal. What exactly is the color the tube? If its not a reddish shade, then they are likely in the 10-20 range. You will just need to stay on top of your water changes & consider adding some fast-growing plants to keep them in check.

jlk said:
They are not ideal but not a big deal. What exactly is the color the tube? If its not a reddish shade, then they are likely in the 10-20 range. You will just need to stay on top of your water changes & consider adding some fast-growing plants to keep them in check.

It's sort of pinky red

0 ammonia is great! Thats a big step forward! Have some patience- the nitrite>nitrate can take twice as long as the amm>nitrite phase. Hang in there! :)

Do you have access to any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc)? This will help speed up the process. Unfortunately, you will just need to have some patience in the meantime- other than cycled media, you can not force the bacteria to grow faster & the nitrite>nitrate phase is the most time consuming. I dont have exact answer on how much longer it will take because everyones tanks are a bit different. Do you plan on adding plants? This would be a good time to do so if you are & may help speed things along as well.

jlk said:
Do you have access to any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc)? This will help speed up the process. Unfortunately, you will just need to have some patience in the meantime- other than cycled media, you can not force the bacteria to grow faster & the nitrite>nitrate phase is the most time consuming. I dont have exact answer on how much longer it will take because everyones tanks are a bit different. Do you plan on adding plants? This would be a good time to do so if you are & may help speed things along as well.

Yes I have some plants

In this pic, your ammonia looks zero but I know pics can be deceptive because colors vary. How long have you been getting zero readings? If your amm/nitrite has been steadily zeroing for a couple of days, then its safe to say your cycled! If it hasnt, then continue to dose amm for a couple of days to make sure things are zeroing.

When your ready for fish, skip the ammonia & do a big water change with temp-matched, properly conditioned water. It may take more than one to drop your nitrates down to your tap level. Adjust the heater if it was cranked up. If your not familiar with 'drip acclimation', check out U-tube for how-to videos. Good luck!

jlk said:
In this pic, your ammonia looks zero but I know pics can be deceptive because colors vary. How long have you been getting zero readings? If your amm/nitrite has been steadily zeroing for a couple of days, then its safe to say your cycled! If it hasnt, then continue to dose amm for a couple of days to make sure things are zeroing.

When your ready for fish, skip the ammonia & do a big water change with temp-matched, properly conditioned water. It may take more than one to drop your nitrates down to your tap level. Adjust the heater if it was cranked up. If your not familiar with 'drip acclimation', check out U-tube for how-to videos. Good luck!

How big is big and is 26*C a good temp

A big water change to drop your nitrates should be 90-95%. Then retest after waiting 1/2hr & see where they are. If they are still not down to your tap level, then you may have to do another big water change. In respect to the temp, I am not sure what type of fish you plan on keeping. Do your research for an appropriate temp for your fish. :)

jlk said:
A big water change to drop your nitrates should be 90-95%. Then retest after waiting 1/2hr & see where they are. If they are still not down to your tap level, then you may have to do another big water change. In respect to the temp, I am not sure what type of fish you plan on keeping. Do your research for an appropriate temp for your fish. :)

Could plants also bring down the nitrates

Lots of plants will help with nitrates over the long run. Right now though, you need to do a big water change to drop your nitrates & re-establish your buffers when your ready for fish. Plants do use nitrates as food BUT this does not eliminate the need for regular, weekly water changes to remove dissolved solids & re-establish buffers & other minerals fish & plants need to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom