Fishless cycle with prawn??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badman85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I've heard you can use a prawn for a source of ammonia, is this true?? I'm gonna be setting up my new tank in a couple of weeks and want to use prawn (if I can) as a source of ammonia.

What kind of prawn?? Do I just go into my local supermarket and get some or is there a specific one.

When do I add it and take it out??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any raw, uncooked, preferably never frozen shrimp will work.

Use a media bag or stockings to contain the mess. Add it when you start up your filter and remove it after nitrate increases while nitrite and ammonia remain a steady 0. Good luck & happy fishkeeping!

Sorry just realised it's in the wrong forum. But can anyone here help???

Sorry just one more question.

How many prawns should I add? I have a 160 litre tank.

Use the little red triangle under your name to report the post and request it be moved to the appropriate forum. The staff will see it and someone will be able to help out.

I'd say just one large one. I cycled a 20G reef tank with a single shrimp and it was almost recognizable when I pulled it.

Thankyou for you're help, sorry to be a pain but I got another question.

I'm also gonna put some media from my established tank into the new one, would I still be able to put the prawn in there.

Sorry if these are really dumb questions.

I'd say there are no dumb questions, but... lol

That is definitely not one of them though! Yes you can, but by adding the established media you will cut the time required to achieve a solid cycle.

Back
Top Bottom