Fishless cycling newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have never done this. I had fish in the tank, but rehomed them to do a fish less cycle. I have been adding pure ammonia via an eye dropper to be precise, but I have questions still. I did use some media from an established tank. It is a 3G planted tank

Is it normal for the tank to be dirty?
How long does it take to see the ammonia drop?
Any way to speed it up?

First thing, read this article on cycling http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html It is the best guide I have found. By dirty, do you mean cloudy water or stuff floating around in the tank? Do you have a test kit? Keep in mind that the test strips you buy are almost worthless. They are always way off. To do a faster cycle you can get some filter media from a cycled tank and put that in your filter. You can also get some water that a cycled filter has been cleaned in and pour that into your filter. It can make the water dirty but it greatly speeds up your cycle. I did that with my last two tanks. Made the cycle almost instant. Well not instant but quick. Post a photo of your tank if you can. Oh and your test results if you have them.

First thing, read this article on cycling http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html It is the best guide I have found. By dirty, do you mean cloudy water or stuff floating around in the tank? Do you have a test kit? Keep in mind that the test strips you buy are almost worthless. They are always way off. To do a faster cycle you can get some filter media from a cycled tank and put that in your filter. You can also get some water that a cycled filter has been cleaned in and pour that into your filter. It can make the water dirty but it greatly speeds up your cycle. I did that with my last two tanks. Made the cycle almost instant. Well not instant but quick. Post a photo of your tank if you can. Oh and your test results if you have them.

I've read that before. Didn't remember the section about the general length of time before the drop in ammonia.

I also didn't see anything about the tank being dirty. Perhaps this is due to inadequate filtration.

Test results are as expected. Close to 4ppm ammonia and 0 for trites and trates. It's a 3G tank.

I think by dirty you mean cloudy? Like milky? If this is the case then this is nothing to worry about and will be gone in a few days. Don't dose anymore ammonia now. Ammonia drop time is different for each tank and no one timescale can be given.

I wouldn't test every day. Just leave it for a few days. In fact, I wouldn't add anymore ammonia now until nitrates start to rise. When nitrates start to rise you can re-dose ammonia. Ammonia nitrifying bacteria won't starve or die off in this time.

So I have never done this. I had fish in the tank, but rehomed them to do a fish less cycle. I have been adding pure ammonia via an eye dropper to be precise, but I have questions still. I did use some media from an established tank. It is a 3G planted tank

Is it normal for the tank to be dirty?
How long does it take to see the ammonia drop?
Any way to speed it up?

If you've added established media it can sometimes go from not to cycled very quickly so i would test daily.

If cloudy, its more likely a bacterial bloom and will clear. Raising the temperature will speed it up but i wouldnt raise it much higher than the temperature that the tank will be once the fiah have been added.

Back
Top Bottom