fishy feeding problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightningryan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 gupies, 3 neon tetras, and 3 black skirt tetras in 10 gallon.
When it is feeding time i put the right amount of food in then the guppies and black skirts get all the food because the neons just stay at the botton behind a rock i put in and swim near the bottom. how will they get food? is this a problem.

Help , I just what them to get food.

while diverting the attention of the guppies and black skirts on one side of the tank, feed the neons on the other.

Only drop half the food on one side of the tank. When all the fish get there and start feeding, drop the rest of the food on the other side of the tank.

In all honesty though, the neons will most likely get a bit quicker about jumping on the food when they get hungry. My swordtails used to miss out because the danio's and rasbora's moved like lightning to the food. Didn't take too long and they got the idea and starting moving quicker at feeding time.

Try to get the fish food to sink, if you are really nervous about them not eating. What I sometimes have to do is push the fish flakes below the serface of the water, or put some near the filter outtake where the water comes out, it pushs it down as well. YOu can try it if you are desperate, but I think what Skyrmir said will happen with your fish.

How long have you had your neons? Maybe they just need some time to settle in. Or maybe they would prefer the company of a couple more neons, IME these are shy fish and they do better in groups of 6+. :D

i had the same problem with my neons...the rasboras will eat everything and the neons would stay at the bottom of the tank...so what i did is feed the rasboras at the opposite side of the filter and then just drop some food where the filter is so it would push it down...it works but not really well...but every now and then they come to the surface and eat with the rasboras...i guess thats when they are really hungry...and when i drop the algae wafers for the otos i have to split it in 2 so one will be eaten by the otos and the neons will rush to the other half...i also give then broccoli stalks and they love it...so i guess a little bit of everything they are getting...because ive had them for about 3 months and they look and act ok...HTH... :mrgreen:

I would be more concerned about the neons staying at the bottom. Are they new additions? A large school sure would help they feel more secure,especially with the Black Skirted tetras in the tank. How long gas the tank been set up? How did you cycle the tank?

I just 3 days ago put in the 3 blackskirts in with 3 neons and they were staying at the bottom. Then just yesterday i bought more fish and got 2 more blackskirts and 4 neons. now all the neons are swimming together and go everywhere in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom