Flagfish, Algae Eating Shrimp, Siamese Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

I have an unsightly hair algae problem in my 45 gallon planted tank and I was hoping someone could provide info on creatures that could help my cause to get rid of it.

I am also concerned with compatibility. I have 2 Discus, 12 Silvertip tetra, 5 rasbora, one angle and one clown loach.

Also, my lfs recently closed its doors, so I was hoping you could direct me to trustworthy online sites to purchase fish.

Thanks...

I'm kind of partial to the siamese algae eaters, but can't seem to find them anywhere. All that seems to be available here are the chinese algae eaters and I don't think they are so good to have.

My amano shrimp are murder on hair algae, for sure, but I do not think they would last long in your tank. Mollys will eat hair algae, as well, but I don't know if that is a reliable way to handle it. Are you using ferts, because maybe you can cut back on the dose, or cut back on your light, or some other nutrient-control method to control it.

Allivymar,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out ASAP.

Are you using ferts, because maybe you can cut back on the dose, or cut back on your light, or some other nutrient-control method to control it.

and yes TankGirl, I am using fertilizer. I am using Kent Freshwater PLant Supplement. I have actually cut back on it recently just because I have been lazy. :? I'll pick it back up with a reduced dose and see what happens. Also, please feel freet to set me straight becasue I am fairly new to this hobby, I was under the impression that the supplement wouldn't be a problem because it's not adding Phosphates and/or silicates. Is it just a matter of any excess nutrients?

I have been doing weekly water changes of about 25% for the past couple of weeks and I am also going to see how that goes. I let the tank go for about three weeks without a change (tons of travel) and I think it caught up with me. The tank is still stable and I think the fish are happy but the hair algae had a chance to bloom. I would like to change the water twice a week but I use RO water and I just never get around to buying it frequently enough to change the water twice a week. I suppose I could try getting a couple more containers and just buying more of it at a time.

As far as lights. I run a 96 watt PC for about 8 hours/day. I don't think this is too much light. Although, now that I think of it I was running a 30 Watt fluorescent for 8-12 hours along with the PC. I have removed the florescent for my Cichlid tank and now it's just the PC. I am currently running about 5-6 hours so my new clown loach doesn't freak out. I think he is acclimating well though.

I'll try keeping the light at 6-7 hours for a week or so and cut way back on the supplement and stay on my water change schedule and see what happens.

If anyone has any more info on compatability of hair algae eaters with my current setup, please let me know.

By the way TankGirl...

I notice that you are in Richmond. I actually used to work in Richmond and I am across 64 in Charlottesville. My buddy who closed down his shop (Charlottesville Aquarium) is living in your town now, near Monument Ave. I will probably head to Richmond if I need to get interesting fish and plants and stuff.

Do you have any suggestions for stores to check out?

Spoon

Allivymar,

That's a great link. The Pleco's are pretty cool. I think there is one in my future. It's got some pretty good information regarding the algae eating fish. I am guess ing the SAE or the Flagfish would do the job. I wonder though about compatibility with angles though. I would n't consider an angel "frilly" but there could still be some potential fin-nipping.

Thanks again.

I've ordered once from AZGardens; got some plants and a bunch of algae shrimp. Both the plants and the shrimp (except for one which got caught in the folds of the shipping bag) are still doing great. The only thing I didn't like about them was the minimum order thing; I don't know if they still do that.

Angels are sorta considered "frilly", especially if you have any veiltails (like I do *grin* we named one Priscilla, Queen of the Desert cause its fins are so out of control LOL); even the standard fins may look appetizing.

Btw, you're in Charlottesville?? My best bud has a farm over in Troy; I LOVE that area! She doesn't have the fish bug like we do tho - shes more of a horse person, else I'd ask her if she knew of any lfs hiding out there.

And yeah, its any nutrients. Phos, silica, nitrates, lighting, etc can all contribute to algae probs. The thing is to find a balance, so the plants will outcompete the algae for those nutrients.

Ok Allivymar, this is a small world...

I am originally from Northern Jersey but I have been in C'ville for the past three years. My fiance is going to UVA for graduate stuff. We really like the area. It seems that there are quite a few horse people around here. It also seems that your tagline reveals a little something about YOU.

"cycling guru"

are you a cyclist? I wouldn't consider myself much of a road cyclist. I am really a mountain biker at heart, although I have been on my road bike much more than my MTB recently. Have you done any riding down here?

*laffs*

Naw, it doesn't relate to bicycles, although every time I see it I have this vision of myself zipping around my fishtanks on a tricycle beeping a little horn LOL

Its actually in reference to the nitrogen cycle, which apparently I've been crowned the guru of *grin* and Terry takes great pleasure in reminding me when he can ;P

I haven't done any biking over there, but since my bud has horses we will go trail riding when the opportunity arises :) Love the area; shes got views of the Blue Ridge Mountains from her backyard (as well as that mountain hideaway for the prez that he goes to when there is some sort of threat; once in a while we see lots of helicopter/plane lights zipping around there). UVA is an awesome school and I love the school folk that come out on Friday nights for the concerts in town.

And btw, where in Northern Jersey? I used to live in Orange County NY, which is right over the border from Sussex.

*duh*

I guess I have bike on the brain. I should have figured out what type of cycling you are talking about. Hence the
*glares at Terry* ;)

anyway, I am from Paterson. It's in Passaic County about 12 miles west of the George Washington Bridge.

Back
Top Bottom