Flakes vs Pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Weird thing is when i feed my goldfish pellets, they don't eat much out of it. But when i feed flakes(dipped in water), they rush on them and nothing is left to be seen. I do try to vary diets, but i think they like flakes over pellets? Am i wrong here?

Pellets are preferred over flakes due to the fact that they are more nutrient dense, and much more stable in water. For species of fish over 2-3 inches, pellets are clearly the most optimum method of providing nutrition to your fish. Not only can you feed much less on a volume basis, but pellets will also remain stable in the aquarium for an extended period of time.

By their very design, flake foods are paper-thin; absorb water very quickly, and while doing so leach out much of the water-soluble vitamins in a very short period. Some studies suggest that once flakes are added to the aquarium, the majority of water-soluble vitamins (such as vitamin C) are leached out of a flake food within 60-90 seconds.

Pellets are preferred over flakes due to the fact that they are more nutrient dense, and much more stable in water. For species of fish over 2-3 inches, pellets are clearly the most optimum method of providing nutrition to your fish. Not only can you feed much less on a volume basis, but pellets will also remain stable in the aquarium for an extended period of time.

By their very design, flake foods are paper-thin; absorb water very quickly, and while doing so leach out much of the water-soluble vitamins in a very short period. Some studies suggest that once flakes are added to the aquarium, the majority of water-soluble vitamins (such as vitamin C) are leached out of a flake food within 60-90 seconds.

Wow that's some good info! Glad I switch back and forth. Mostly NLS I feed my crew.

Mostly NLS I feed my crew.

NLS actually has a caution warning in their flakes, which reads.

Although all flake food can maintain small fish, it will not produce long term growth and health for large fish due to insufficient food intake. For best results feed New Life Spectrum pellets exclusively.

I feed flakes when fish are small and transition to pellets as soon as possible.

NLS actually has a caution warning in their flakes, which reads.

Although all flake food can maintain small fish, it will not produce long term growth and health for large fish due to insufficient food intake. For best results feed New Life Spectrum pellets exclusively.

I feed flakes when fish are small and transition to pellets as soon as possible.

Good to know. I feed the pellets also. Not sure if it matters I use NLS Thera A

Good to know. I feed the pellets also. Not sure if it matters I use NLS Thera A
I use pellets now, i never really used flakes, only rarely. But i have 4'' and 5''-6'' goldfish, and they eat the flakes rather quickly, but i rather go with the pellets:)

Back
Top Bottom