Flaring solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My betta resides in my bedroom. During the day, I keep the curtains open so he has some natural light. However, when I turn on his tank light, the room is still dark enough that he can see his reflection and flares at it.

I've been keeping the tank light off because I don't want to stress him out. I'd like to be able to have it on...I'm eventually going to get some live plants, too.

So, I thought that maybe getting some of that stick on background might do the trick, but it would only cover 1-3 sides of the tank...what about the front? Or, I could set up a small lamp near his tank to give more light.

I'd love to hear what others have done.

(Hopefully someday soon I'll stop asking questions and be able to help others with theirs! )

I think he might get over flaring when he gets used to seeing his own reflection. My betta flares too but not all the time.

You could try the backgrounds. They come in a variety of designs, or you could use the solid blue side. I had one on my first betta tank and I don't think the betta flared at it (it is somewhat shiny itself so there is the potential to still have the betta see himself). I just used Scotch tape to hold it in place. If it is too shiny or reflective for your betta, you could try blue or black paper, although it could get wet at water changes. One time I used a black garbage bag as a background. It wasn't reflective but it didn't look very nice in photos so I took it off. I don't have anything on my tanks now but I do want to get one of those backgrounds again and see how my current bettas react to it.

Back
Top Bottom