floating driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just recently bought some drift wood unfortunatly it floats, does this mean its unsafe for the aquarium? or if i can find a way of keeping it down will it be ok?
The label said it is mangrove root thank you

I went to menards and bought a 12x12 slate tile and some stainless screws. Put some vinegar on the tile to make sure it didn't bubble, Drilled a hole through the slate and into the DW, then buried the tile.

thank you both ill see what i can do im still waiting for my substrate to come in the bost so ill tackle the driftwood in a couple of days now i know its safe

Did you boil it or soak it to get tannins out? What kind of DW is it? Most people have to boil or soak there DW for days, weeks even!

I've soaked DE for a whole weekend in 20 minute increments changing the water out each time.

Other times I would soak it in hot water and put something over it to keep it submerged.

Also some places sell already sinking DW but most you have to work at. Curious to know type of DW you have there. Have a pic?

Here they are i dont think its all the same one peice said mangrove the others were'nt labelled

Attachments

• image-3831576325.jpg
    image-3831576325.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1916669274.jpg
    image-1916669274.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2245240982.jpg
    image-2245240982.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 64
tmdavies said:
Here they are i dont think its all the same one peice said mangrove the others were'nt labelled

Try boiling it and soaking it. Put something heavy on top. But water looks clear is it free of tannins?

Maybe use aquarium safe silicon and glue them to the bottom?

Boil them for an hour then VERY carefully transfer them to a tub of cool water until they have completely cooled down. Return them to the boil and boil for an hour, carefully transfer back to the cool water. Repeats this over and over until it sinks. A lot faster than waiting for it to sink by itself!

Back
Top Bottom