Floating vs sinking food pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Wondering if one is better than other?

Just bought sinking pellets to try but usually get floating pellets. I'm guessing a sinking pellet would have less chance of air gulped in / any issues but on the community fish I keep I've never really had any troubles there. I usually get the floating ones as some sink and some float but I figure once they reach the gravel they are lost to the mid-level fish (except mollies).

On a side tangent, I don't know if it is my angelfish but they are so slooow at eating! Each pellet is delicately sized up and inhaled while the tetras are running smash and grab on everything (including the algae wafers they treat as all day suckers).

Anyways floating vs sinking pellets - what do people use?

I have floating because that's what a guy at the LFS told me to use but I just push them down anyway. I had one fish swallow some air and it swam around upside down for a day or so before dying. I'd go with sinking pellets but just be sure not to feed too fast so you don't have a bunch of food at the bottom of the tank just sitting there.
Side note- I had a friend feed my fish one day while I got dressed for golf and he put like a full handful of pellets in at once. We got back from golfing a few hours later and the water had an orange tint from the pellets. I had to do a pretty large water change the next day. Needless to say, he hasn't fed my fish since.

I use both i got a multi chamber pepper grinder & loaded it with floaters ,sinkers & trout pellets.
chose what you want to feed by rotating the selector & grind away.
saves on overfeeding.
grinder is a Grunwerg TM-638. made in UK got mine @ a bed-bath store here in Canada
just adjust the grinding plates to maximum gap (so food is Coarse ground)
I usually grind some floaters 1st then sinkers due to the barbs get a frenzy going @ feeding time,that way the danio's get a taste then its mostly sinking shrimp meal pellets.
test some in a bowl of water while adjusting the grinding plates untill your happy with the size's.

Back
Top Bottom