Floor Supporting Large Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We looked at a couple more houses today that we really liked, but due to the layout of the house the 75 gallon fish tank would have to be put on the 2nd floor. How can you tell if the floor is sturdy enough to support such a large tank? Is there someone I would call to have it looked at?

I would think that a 75G would be ok. But to be sure, might have someone look at it, either a contractor or builder. If you don't know anyone, maybe a friend or relative knows someone. Now for tanks over 100G, I'd definitely have it looked over. But a 55G or 75G, I don't see any problems.

If you position the tank perpendicular to the floor joists you shouldn't have a problem. If you are doubting if the floor can hold it, you could always call the home builder. I wouldn't be concerned about it until the tank reaches at least 100 gal.

Sorry for the duplicate info. :D You must have just submitted it right after I opened the topic.

I do construction and from what I can remember from my experience is that each floor joist is suppose to be able to support 1000 lbs per foot, I believe thats what it was, but either way a 75 gallon would be fine, only problem you may have is finding a sink close enough lol

well, instead of guessing, hers a definitive article put forward by an engineer.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

seems to me this an authoritative article, as i am an engineer myself. just my two cents

Me to. Good article that.
I like this bit
These beams might be constructed of wide-flange steel beams (commonly and incorrectly called an I-beam)

Hot Rolled Structural Sections in the shape of an "I" or are generally called "Universal Beams"
Hence terms like

Data Sheet for 460UB74.6

I guess ultimatly it's up to the supplier and constructor to call them whatever they want.

I just set up a 75 in my living room did not have prblem with weight the house was built in 1942 cross members are atleast 12 x 6 inch at 16 inch centers but leveling was problem as the floor boards are 2x6 inch barly better than rough cut under an old blue shag carpet it took me almost 3 hours to get it all figured out and a half a pack of shims and a few cus words throne in for good mesure but it is solid as a rock I can jump up and down next to it and no waves. As others here have said I think most houses will easily support the weight of a 75 but leveling and getting it to not wave at you when you walk by is the trick but these can be solved with so inginuity and a trip to the local hardware store just remember if you want to brace the floor do it before you set up the aquarium and just brace it don't jack it up. good luck.

LOL.. I am an engineer aswell an I call them "I" beams or W beams which comes right outta my steel handbook. Nice to see all the fellow engineers here.

You can really tell the difference in American vs Canadian Engineering. He talks about factors of safety instead fo designing to limit states. I like reading these other methods of engineering.

Back
Top Bottom