Flounder behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've had a freshwater flounder or hogchoker for around a month or so and he's settled quite well, no fighting and he's getting plenty to eat, but some of his actions I just have to question. I know it's normal but why does he suction himself to the glass? And he seems to only really come out at night when it's been dark in my room for more that a hour or two. Is this normal behavior or will he start coming out more once he's older and bigger?

Keep calm and rock on

They typically bury themselves in the substrate. They are nocturnal and rarely come out during the day. I know a guy that forgot he had one in his tank because he never saw it after he put it in there until he broke the tank down.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They typically bury themselves in the substrate. They are nocturnal and rarely come out during the day. I know a guy that forgot he had one in his tank because he never saw it after he put it in there until he broke the tank down.

Good to know. But what's the reason for the glass thing? Any idea?

Keep calm and rock on

Corse gravel throughout and half the tank has an inch or two of sand from a beach. He prefers the beach half but he has burrowed into the gravel half already.

Keep calm and rock on

I know they typically prefer fine sand. I've seen them on glad before but never with any regularity. Probably just looking for food. You might want to try some live food that sinks to the bottom, like black worms.

There's nothing wrong here. They like to suck on to glass. Couldn't say why, except to note that they have no idea it's transparent (from his up-close angle he would see a reflection of something distant within the tank).

Back
Top Bottom