flourescent versus incandescent lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indrani987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone:) I'm hoping someone can help answer a simple question. first, my set up - I've got a five gallon tank all for my little betta:) It's 16" across, and I'm having a tough time finding a hood for that size. I've found one at petsmart.com, but it has incandescent lighting. Now, I prefer the look of incandescent lighting, and I'm sticking with fake plants for now that don't need bright fluorescent lighting. I know plants are better, but any plant I bought in the past would inevitably have a speck of red algae that would proliferate; and I've waged and lost the battle against red algae a couple of times, basically because it is difficult to get enough fluorescent light to defeat it in a smaller tank - so that's why I've decided I am sticking with fake plants:p But even if I don't need fluorescent lighting for the plants, I remember that incandescent lighting would overheat my aquarium - and seeing as I'm gone about 12 hours a day, I don't want to risk overheating my betta:-(

Now for the question - is it possible to use a fluroescent bulb in a hood that is advertised for incandescent light? Alternatively, I've found a hood on amazon.com that claims to be usable with fluorescent OR incandescent lighting - does that sound possible, or is the seller hoping to yank someone's chain? Thanks in advance for your insights!:) ~indrani

You can buy a 9 watt pc bulb that will screw into a standard socket. It will give off a little heat but nothing like your current bulb would.

Thanks for the tip...I just called Petsmart customer service, and the lady who answered happened to have a friend who was an electrician (what luck!) and she said I probably wouldn't have much luck using a fluorescent bulb in there without damaging something electrically...I think I'm probably just going to have to return it after it ships. I'm contacting the amazon seller to see if his hood has gaps in the back for the filter, thermometer, etc.....I'm always suspicious when buying things online!:p If anyone else knows of a reliable place to find a good fluorescent hood for a 5 gallon aquarium, I'd appreciate any leads - thanks! ~indrani

Oh! I wish I had read this before ordering the second hood from Amazon.com. Oh well, I'll know for next time - I'm returning the one to Petsmart, and am very happy with the other. It's only got an 8 watt fluorescent light, but it looks remarkably like natural daylight fliltering into the water - much more beautiful than the last fluorescent lights I had on my old tank. My betta literally started swimming in happy circles when I turned it on! Anyway, thanks for the advice:)

Back
Top Bottom