Flower Horn census help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F/H Curiouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am breeder of tropical freshwater fish at least new to professionally but have been doing it as a hobby for several years. I have an opportunity to import 15 different colorations of the flowerhorn breed from a breeder in malaysia. I am importing these 15 pairs of fish for the purpose of breeding them, but would like to know a few things before I commit to the breed. Mostly I have heard conflicting reports about the F/H, one being the craze is just starting and the other is that it is falling fast. I would like a census of what you guys think in regards to who is for or against the flowerhorn and any reason of why you personally wouldnt want the flowerhorn. First let me state right off the start that you wont see high price tags on my flowerhorns ( $200 - $1000 depending on quality, what are they nuts :roll: lol ) and will be pricing my flowerhorns typically to your every day freshwater fish. Uncertain at this time as to the price of the fish that I will be selling, but know it will be no where near what your typical price tag would be if you were to buy a flowerhorn. Also I am not talking the common street flowerhorns... red dragons, golden butterfly, and red mercury are examples of what I am looking to breed. Also if any of you wouldn't mind buying a flowerhorn, let me know what you would like to see me carry and if I am able to purchase a breeding pair I will email you once I get my first spawn. Thanks for the help and feel free to post your replies even if you are not looking to buy, I am more concerned with a census report on the breed

I own a blood parrot & don't see the problem folks are complaining about. Yes, it's mouth is deformed (in a way), but he eats fine, is happy & healthy & I've had him for 6 years (or more) now. I am (of course) strongly against the "jellybean" type. I'd love to own a flowerhorn, but can't afford the outrageous prices of the realy striking one I'd be interested in.

I do not see them offered locally so it might be that they would become popular here if they were more available. They are large and tend to be aggressive (even towards their human keepers!) so it is not a fish for everyone.

I don't think you are going to find a "fad" fish (at least in the US) that people are willing to shell out tons of money just so they can have one, like might be the case in other countries. If you can offer them at more reasonable prices you might have something.

I really wanted a flowerhorn a while back, but after I did some research and stumbled across the actual price of the fish I threw my arms up and dismissed the idea. I will always admire them though.

I have to agree with TankGirl about "fad fish." Unless there were any cute movies that include a flowerhorn as one of the main characters released recently that I don't know about, fish keepers wont lose interest. If you provide these fish at a more reasonable price like you intend to, I don't see why they won't take off even more.

Back
Top Bottom