fluorescent or incandescent lighting- which one for tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boothbrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Came across 2 tanks I could buy and the fluorescent lighting was more expensive over the incandescent. It was about $60 extra and even more for larger tanks ?!

Anyway, just wonderin what differences/benefits there are and if it was worth the price ?

Depends on what your keeping in them; for example, if you want live plants go for the flourescents. Flourescents also don't add as much heat to the tank as incandescents do. However, if you aren't doing plants and have no intention on ever doing them, incandescents will prob be ok.

They require different fittings, and flourescents need a ballast (sort of a starter if you will) so you cant just unscrew an incandescent and put in a flourescent bulb if thats what you're asking.

Depending on the size of the tank, you may be able to buy a new hood with flourescent lights for less then the $60; check out http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?inCUR=CAN to see if doing that is cost effective.

You can put one of those new compact flourescent bulbs into a regular incandescent socket - TankGirl I think has a post about that here.

Problem with the CF bulbs however, is that they are quite bulky, and may not fit inside the hood. Also, the only CF I can find here in Canada are warm white, not the right spectrum for plants. Someone had posted in the DIY forum that they actually found plant light CF bulbs at Home Depot, but I havn't seen it yet.

A cheap way to get a flourescent hood (which is what I use) is to just get the tank, put a piece of glass on top if you wish, and just mount some shop lights from the ceiling or an overhanging shelf.

Recently I checked out a high end lfs in town, and all their set ups have glass tops & external lights (well, they use expensive light for the reefs, not shop lights!)

Back
Top Bottom